Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizzy

NHL 93 (EA) style hockey game

is it possible in C++ and would it take me like 50 years? i don''t know much about programming in C++. actually i know almost nothing - but i really want to work on a hockey game. i''ve thought about using a game maker program called "Game Maker" (creative name huh?)... but i don''t think it would be the best thing to use... so does anyone have examples of sports games? or know of programs or sites that may help me learn?

Take your time to learn the basics of programming first.
Then, make some simpler games than hockey.
When you are finally confident of your coding abilities in general, you can try to make a game similar to NHL '93.
It took very much work to make, even though by nowadays standards it looks like crap.

Programming takes time, and game programming often takes even more time. But if you really want to do it, then it's all about learning...

kind rgds,
Nik

EDIT: Don't use gamemaker software, if you want to be a good game developer someday...

[edited by - Nik02 on October 9, 2003 2:53:15 PM]

If you barely know c++ a game like that will take less than 2 years depending on how fast you learn and how much you practise.. hell if you got the motivation you could do it in 5 months but then you would barely have time to eat now and then.

To get going, follow Nik''s order. Learn c++ by doing extremely simple programs with the help of a book and tutorials. Move on to more advanced programs, then move on to a simple game with simple graphics and sound. Then make your NHL game. See it will take some time. We all go through it.