Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Enselic

When will "soundengines" be a thing of the past?

When, if ever, will the physicsengines produce sounds? I mean, sounds are vibrations caused by physical activity. For instance, in a shotting game a muzzle falls to the ground. The physicsengine would then simulate the clear, high sound from the vibration of the muzzle. I think it sounds pretty cool. [edited by - Enselic on October 9, 2003 3:02:39 PM]

It makes sense for the physics engine to feed into the sound engine; after all, it knows things like the velocity of a collision and the materials involved.

But generating sounds from physical simulations is a bad idea. Physics engines work well because objects can be "faked" with rigid bodies and tensile systems. In contrast, in order to realistically model the "plink" of a cartridge hitting the ground you need to compute shock waves resonating through the particular type of metal; internal reflections of sound waves; realistically model microscopic inelastic deformation; etc., etc. Given that sounds which are much more realistic than their real-time simulations could be (within the forseeable future), and given that there''s very little reason not to use those prerecorded sound, I don''t see the status quo changing in the near future.

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by gumby
When, if ever, will people stop referring to every component of their game as an ''engine''?

Good point! I will add a note in my todo engine!

quote:
Original post by gumby
When, if ever, will people stop referring to every component of their game as an ''engine''?

Good question

On the other hand, which word is better?

How about ingredient?

"Our new 3D game ingredient supports per pixel happiness."

"Our new game AI ingredient is smarter than yours."

Or perhaps morsel.

There is a 3D "engine" that is called Mascot Capsule, so perhaps capsule is a good word:

www.mascotcapsule.com

Spatial Technology (www.spatial.com used to call the components of their solid modeling system (ACIS), "husks." I like the word husk.

"Our new 3D game husk is superior to John Carmack''s."

Etc.

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.