Making a Racing Game Like no other

Started by
11 comments, last by gsharad007 20 years, 6 months ago
he''s making fun of you. lol

"Ford, you''re turning into a penguin. Stop it." - HichHiker''s Guide to the Galaxy
Advertisement
Try to incorporate everything anyone can think of??? You can''t include EVERYTHING (I had to find that out the hard way). It just isn''t feesible. It sounds like a Fast and Furious version of Gran Turismo (my all time fave game). I really like that idea and wrote a LOOOOOONG post on some game forum somewhere on the topic of what people would like to see included in GT4. My feature list was very similar to yours, but more specific. I wrote how the developers should incorporate the features, not just that they should be there. I thought that I had good ideas, and besides just listing them like everyone else, I was able to show how to do it and why it they should go through the effort of doing it. As I was rereading my post (after I posted it) I realized something. GT4 (or any game for that matter) could have an infinite feature list. It could incorporate everything you could want in a racing game. I could be all of what you and I both posted and so much more. But to what end? At some point someone has to say "enough" and the game must be completed. "All" possible features cannot be put in. Yes, They could very well have incorporated more into the game, but only by sacrificing other features.

I guess my point is, that with any game the developer/designer MUST decide which features "need" to be in the game, which are expendable, and which are not even in the running. This decision is not based on technology, on what can and cannot be done, but on time and necessity.

On a side thought, a game such as the one you''re suggesting would be better if YOU focused on designing the 3d engine, the physics engine (very important here) and some kind of performance engine (this is the new part). Basically incorporate what makes a car go faster than another, what factors increase horsepower, handling, etc) and only a few cars, tracks and extra parts. Then, release tools to allow users and third party developers to create their own cars, parts and tracks. Your performance engine will allow for a totally custom exhaust. If the exhaust is more free-flowing, then you will probably get a bit more hp. If the user doesn''t know jack about exhaust and they have a 30 degree angle somewhere causing it to be very restrictive, they will lose power and possibly damage the engine. As you can see, the performance engine will be a lot of work, so concentrate on that and let the users worry about parts and cars and even tracks.
I think that guy that said:

"i wuz da anonymos postr. i wuz zriticising your riting, d00d."

is referring to his previous post that said:

"sw33t, d00d!

ur idea iz wakk. it r0xx0rz!"

Just to point something out... I am the AP that posted about doing work with a HS friend. The other person is totally unrelated.

As far as joining forces goes... I don''t know. This game is sort of our little pet project and we feel kind of... personal about it. We''ve rejected a bunch of help just because we want to make a point that two people can make a great game... Call us arrogant, but this is our child and we don''t really wany to share. But if you want any design / development pointers / ideas, we''d be happy to help.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement