Pong->Mouse vs Keyboard?

Started by
8 comments, last by Spintwo 20 years, 6 months ago
What are the advantages of using a mouse or a keyboard for the paddle movement in pong? My opinion is using the keyboard is better because if you use the mouse, it would be pretty impossible for the user to lose.. So what do you guys think? Charles Hwang -Also/Previously known as Tazel Personal >>[MonkeyHumor-Under Developement | E-mail] Programming >>[NeXe|NeHe|SDL] Resource >>[Google|Dev-C++|GDArticles|C++.com|MSDN]
Advertisement
<< it would be pretty impossible for the user to lose.. So what do you guys think? >>

Make the ball move really fast, and even with the mouse it would be difficult. Also make it so the computer can''t miss.

Phil P
Dont choose an inferior input device just to make your game artificially harder.

I played a cool version of arkanoid that used the mouse as the input device and it worked very smoothly and it was super addictive and fun.

Find a different way to make your game hard. Using the keyboard just to make it harder is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard and people would just get pissed off and not play your game.
I for one would never play pong that uses arrow keys to move. I hate it. Definately go with mouse, find other ways to make your game hard, mainly ball speed as someone already suggested. You can also give them a small paddle or something.
I personally love dx-ball, which uses the mouse as input. It gives you a lot more controle and allows the user to hit the ball harder or give it effect when moving the mouse in different speeds.
I love it :D

"My basic needs in life are food, love and a C++ compiler"
[Project AlterNova] [Novanet]
[www.LifeIsDigital.net - My open source projects and articles.
When it's just pong, I would aim towards the keyboard; I've made countless pong games that use the keyboard, and in my personal opinion it's a better approach. The mouse does have it's advantages in speed, but if your going for more of an original type pong game, then go for the keyboard. Nothing like the ol'turn dial, or in this case arrow keys.

If your going for more of an advanced pong, maybe have two balls, then use the mouse in that case be cause the player is going to need the mobility.

[edited by - PumpkinPieman on October 10, 2003 4:07:43 PM]
Actually, I argue that the mouse is closer to the dial mechanism than the keyboard is.
quote:Original post by merlin9x9
Actually, I argue that the mouse is closer to the dial mechanism than the keyboard is.

Ummm that statement isn''t very helpfull, since you didn''t state why.. I''d say the keyboard is similar cause you are going one way or the other its like a switch where as a mouse you mouse the mouse the exact same as the padel..

anyways I was asking a similar question to my self with the game I''m currently working on (signature) however in my case I was thing of giving the option to use the mouse the keyboard or a gamepad for my game.. I was thinking the gamepad might make it play like a gameboy game which could be fun..

Sorry to jump on the thread.. I think that if you looking for a fast paced game then go with the mouse if you don''t mind having a slower speed then the keys would be find..

Please visit Turt99 Productions
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER OR MY BLOG
In some respects, yes the mouse would be much like the dial. You can change the speed of which the paddle is moving by moving the dial quicker. The way I approached mine was the longer you hold down the key the more velocity the paddle gains, so the paddle will dart across the screen the longer you hold it. The dial in my opinion was more challenging because you had to turn it a full 360 degree''s (I think) to get it to the other side, so there was always a break where you would have to get your grip again. When I did mine a few years ago the velocity of the paddle when it was moving would effect the direction and speed at which the ball deflects. I had a problem with the mouse where if you dart over, since the mouse is so sensitive (some) the ball would bounce off and accelerate (Which was unlike the original pong in the sense that velocity was a factor of time) at unbearable velocities. So I stuck with the keyboard.
Alright. I think I''ll probably stick to the keyboard this time. After these replies, I realized that there''s an extra thing to think about. If the paddle is moving at different speeds, that will affect the ball''s movement also. So to keep it simple, I''ll stick with the keyboard for now. Thanks.

Charles Hwang -Also/Previously known as Tazel
Personal >>[MonkeyHumor-Under Developement | E-mail]
Programming >>[NeXe|NeHe|SDL]
Resource >>[Google|Dev-C++|GDArticles|C++.com|MSDN]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement