3d Browser

Started by
18 comments, last by PhenixDarkPhire 20 years, 5 months ago
quote:Original post by PhenixDarkPhire
What? What are you trying to say? If you''re trying to say that I implied something different by Internet Explorer, apologies. But this is more like a glorified DOS, if you will. Happy? Now, does anyone know how to do that, or are you just going to jabber at me in bad English?

Let''s see here:

1) You want some help.
2) You flame people, then DEMAND they give you links.
3) Your attitude sucks.
4) You rip people who aren''t speaking in their primary language.
5) Then you go on to use too many commas, demonstrating your primary language skills aren''t up to par.

It''s obnoxious to see people with such bad attitudes on here.
Advertisement
C''mon! All I want is for someone to respond to the question rather than all the errors in it! Is that so wrong? Thanks to everybody who''s given me valuable information, and for those who haven''t, why did you even bother? That''s my rant, and that''s the end of that. Now. Why don''t we focus on the topic rather than everyone''s irritability and grammar?
Actually, his use of his primary language is flawless, and all his commas are legal. Back off.
I prefer Phenix''s attitude to that of a dumb anonymous poster criticising and hiding his name... any day.
What''s going to be 3D about the browser? Will you be able to move around in it? I think it would be cool if you would show a folder, then behind it, show a listing of the files in it, that way you''d know what''s in it before you opened it up. If you think the 3D browser thing would really take off, there''s a fiction book with some pretty cool ideas. The book is mediocre, but fairly short and worth reading if you plan on doing this project of yours. I belive the name of the book is "The Hacker and the Ants". Interesting, but kinda weird. Don''t forget to check out Europa 3D, very cool.

"Donkey, if it were me, you''d be dead."
I cna ytpe 300 wrods pre mniute.
"Donkey, if it were me, you'd be dead."I cna ytpe 300 wrods pre mniute.
Watch jurassic park, they got a 3d browser of the unix file system. Atleast thats what I remember from 7 years ago
To answer your original question, there''s a whole load of Windows API functions that can help when getting file and folder information. These functions are usually prefixed SH* (SH = shell), for example SHGetFileInfo - this is quite a useful function as it also allows you to get the icon associated with a file (which might be important for a 3D visualisation).
Ouch! Flame wars To answer what I think you''re wanting to know: Have a look at the win32 functions "FindFirstFile" and "FindNextFile". You should be a able to enumerate through all the files in a directory to get their names etc. I''ve used them like this before to get all the files in a directory:

WIN32_FIND_DATA FindData;   HANDLE hFileFind = FindFirstFile("c:\\testdir\\*.*", &FindData);   while (hFileFind != INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE)   {      /*          ... do stuff with FindData ...         e.g. FindData.cFileName is the name of the file etc.      */      // get the next file      if (!FindNextFile(hFileFind, &FindData))      {         FindClose(hFileFind);         hFileFind = INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE;      }   }

Just be aware that you will probably have to deal with finding the ".." and "." names (I just ignore them). There is also a method of checking whether a file is a directory, but I forget what (should be in the MSDN around the help on FindNextFile)
I know this topic is old, but if you are still working on it, check out TridComm +

"Donkey, if it were me, you''d be dead."
I cna ytpe 300 wrods pre mniute.
"Donkey, if it were me, you'd be dead."I cna ytpe 300 wrods pre mniute.
In addition to Mr. Bojangles'' post, you may want to take a look at 3dtop (http://www.wirehub.nl/~technica/3dtop/home.html) for ideas/inspiration. I''ve tried this [3dtop] before, and managed about a week before I reverted back to Explorer due to the difficulties in navigating effectively in three dimensions.

Best of luck,

--
Cheers,
--
Cheers,
Darren Clark

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement