3d Browser

Started by
18 comments, last by PhenixDarkPhire 20 years, 6 months ago
A few other guys and I are working on an idea for a 3d browser, sort of like a less boring Internet Explorer. We came across two problems in the planning phase- 1) A text buffer, which I''m close to fixing with a simple linked list. 2) A way to get ahold of file structure. Is there a data structure of some kind that holds files/folders, or am I going to have to create one? As far as creating folders and the like goes, I can use the system(char*) command if absolutely necessary, but I still don''t have a good way of getting the contents of a folder to display. Any ideas?
Advertisement
Yeah, I (and probably everyone else has too) have had the iea of making a 3d web based browser in OpenGL. My idea however was much more indepth.

My question is this, "Are you going to be creating your own HTML rederning engine?" and "Do you know what your getting into?"

Dustin Davis
Owner / CEO
Programmers Unlimited
www.Programmers-Unlimited.com
Dustin DavisOwner / CEOProgrammers Unlimitedwww.Programmers-Unlimited.com
HTML rendering engine? We''re not really going to be working with HTML. The whole idea is just to allow the user to navigate through the contents of his/her hard drive in 3d space. No image viewing, no text editing, nothing like that, just simple navigation. So no HTML rendering, but no I probably don''t know what I''m getting into.
AFAIK IE do renders HTML, but not browses through your HDD (at least not ment to) O_o
What? What are you trying to say? If you''re trying to say that I implied something different by Internet Explorer, apologies. But this is more like a glorified DOS, if you will. Happy? Now, does anyone know how to do that, or are you just going to jabber at me in bad English?
Internet Explorer explores the internet. Windows Explorer is what you're writing a 3D version of.

The Windows API is C-based, so all you have are functions for retrieving directory contents, but not structures that automatically fill themselves in. However it's easy writing code to browse folders. I can't remember the function names, but it's something like findfirst and findnext.

My question is, how is this going to be 3D, and how is it going to be easier to navigate than the traditional 2D display?

BTW, did you know you misspelled Phoenix?

~CGameProgrammer( );

-- Post screenshots of your projects. 100+ posts already in the archives.

[edited by - CGameProgrammer on October 10, 2003 4:38:37 PM]
~CGameProgrammer( );Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.
*sighs, shakes head* Yes, I''m aware I misspelled Phoenix. It''s a long story and I''d rather not tell it.

You''re missing the point of this. It isn''t to be easier to navigate, it isn''t meant to be an improvement. It''s just a project that I want to do for my own enjoyment. Yes, it is more like WINDOWS explorer. I''m aware of that. Now. Please. A link, anything.
If you have the book, "OpenGL Game Programming", one of the programs contained on the disk was Europa 3D. Europa 3D just replaced the desktop with a 3D enviroment. You might want to check it out for some ideas, just to see what might be difficult to code. And if you''re really stumped, I suggest just resorting to using the system(const char *filename); call and using DOS commands. It won''t be fast, but you''ll get a feel for the program. And be sure to check out Europa 3D, it''s pretty cool if you''ve got an okay graphics card. Good luck! And let Open Source live, emkay!

"Donkey, if it were me, you''d be dead."
I cna ytpe 300 wrods pre mniute.
"Donkey, if it were me, you'd be dead."I cna ytpe 300 wrods pre mniute.
There is actually a 3d Browser I started and then gave over to a member of my site. He and his team ahve been working on a 3D "Browser" (much much more than just a browser) and are coming along nicley. They could use help if you want to join their team.

http://www.programmers-unlimited.com/adia/

Check it out.

Dustin Davis
Owner / CEO
Programmers Unlimited
www.Programmers-Unlimited.com
Dustin DavisOwner / CEOProgrammers Unlimitedwww.Programmers-Unlimited.com
A flash coming soon page...

Not too much to check out

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement