Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spintwo

Memorize What?!

Ok, some questions. Should I memorize the whole Windows process?? Do professional programmers just keep it in storage and then copy and paste when needed? I can remember what every function does and mostly how everything works but if I was presented with a blank screen and told to make a working version of a windows window, I don''t think I''d be able to do it. Do you need to be a win32 guru to be able to program applications well (when you''re using DirectX) or will knowing just basic Win32 functions suffice?
Charles Hwang -Also/Previously known as Tazel Personal >>[MonkeyHumor-Under Developement | E-mail] Programming >>[NeXe|NeHe|SDL] Resource >>[Google|Dev-C++|GDArticles|C++.com|MSDN]

I think you can probably manage with just a little win32 knowledge to make an ok DirectX app. I don''t think you have to memorize everything. When I program, I constantly go back and forth to the documentation. Besides, if you do it enough times, you''ll probably learn it anyway. You just need practice .

Nah don''t memorize everything as you get more familiar with the functions etc, you eventually get the hang of it. It''s just a matter of practice you won''t even have to think about it when you really get it, for the time being I''d do the same as DukeAtreides, switch back and forth with the code and documentation if you don''t remember something look it up.

I don''t remember what they all do... I just write the code once and then refer back to it when I need it.

You need very, very little win32 knowledge these days. Other APIs, however, may replace that set of needs with a different set. I would advise, however, becoming familiar with at least one windowing framework (.NET WinForms, Java AWT and/or Swing, even MFC in a pinch).

HTH,
ld

I generally agree with what other people posted here. Initially, I stressed over committing all the steps for making a window to memory. I quickly learned that in doing so, you learn nothing, and probably won''t rememeber it anyway. You really have to learn about it by doing it. For me, I got tired of writing the code to start a Windows ap everytime, so I made a REALLY simple class to encapsulate it for me, with the values I usually use. For other functions though, I refer to documentation A LOT. I think someone on these boards said it doesn''t matter so much that you have it memorized, but that you know how to find and understand the answer.