Some Help and Suggestions?

Started by
3 comments, last by CryosBronwen 20 years, 6 months ago
I''ve been into Game Development for quite some time, but I''ve never really learned anything significant. The most I''ve done is toyed with a Scripting Style used in a 2D Zelda-Based RPG. Right now, I feel that I''m at a point where I believe that I am old enough and mature enough to learn a programming language and apply myself to it. I wanted to start off by purchasing a few books and studying at a few websites, though, I am not sure which language would be best to learn in order to push my project to its maximum. I want to develop a 2D style RPG, similar to some GBA Games. (Pokemon comes to mind, since I''ve been playing it for almost five years.) I know that learning a language isn''t easy, and it could take years to learn what I need to create my game, but I''m willing to accept this. What programming language, compiler, books, websites, and resources would any of you suggest for making this type of game? I would eventually want to create a custom scripting language, level editor, and online playability in the years to come. Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
I (along with many others) would recommend you to learn C++. It is the most widely used language these days for applications/games, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Firstly, you will need to pick up a primer on the language. C++ Primer and Accelerated C++ are both very good introductions.

After you have read through one of the above, and you know what you CAN do with the language, you will need a book that tells you what you SHOULD do with the language. Effective C++ and More Effective C++ are excellent reads. That should get you started. Eventually you will probably need a reference, such as The C++ Programming Language.

You can write all your C++ code in any text editor, but to translate your code into machine code (which must be done to generate an executable file), you will need a compiler. Microsoft Visual C++ is the most used compiler on the windows platform, and if you're a student you can get it for a significantly reduced price. There are also many free compilers, so if you can't afford MSVC++, then I would suggest you to download DevC++, which is excellent and is very commonly used. Note that these compilers include an IDE (Integrated Development Environment) which provides you with a special text editor to write your C++ code in (DevC++ is actually an IDE, while the compiler it uses is called mingw32).

Also, to help you learn C++, here are some useful links:

Teach Yourself C++ in 21 days
CProgramming.com
CPlusPlus.com tutorial
C++ Faq Lite

Once you have learned C++ fairly well, and you want to develop games, then you will need to learn an API (Application Programming Interface) with two of the most famous being DirectX and OpenGL. These API's allow you to communicate with your hardware, such as your graphics card. But you shouldn't worry about API's just yet until you know a language fairly well.

Also, check out the articles here.

Hope I helped a little!

[edited by - chacha on October 9, 2003 11:35:46 PM]
Thanks, this helped me out quite a bit. I''m aware that learning this will take several months, if not years, but I was just wondering; How long does it take the average person to become capable of creating a decent looking 2D game that has an online mode? I may be rushing it a bit, but I''m just trying to picture my development steps in a timeline-ish format.
quote:Original post by CryosBronwen
How long does it take the average person to become capable of creating a decent looking 2D game that has an online mode

It depends on many things. How fast you learn, what type of game you want to create, how large your game will be etc...

I''m not trying to discourage you from creating your game, but it would be much easier for you if you started with smaller projects and make your way up, until you have enough experience to make your 2D online game. This article explains what I mean.

Game Development takes time, but if you really want to start with your 2D online game, then go ahead and ignore my advice, but just make sure you have a good understanding of the language you will use.
quote:I''m not trying to discourage you from creating your game, but it would be much easier for you if you started with smaller projects and make your way up, until you have enough experience to make your 2D online game.

I was planning on making a few smaller games (I.E. Tetris, Pong, sidescrollers, and various classic games) before I start on the online game, even then I was planning in creating it one system at a time (Navigation, Battle, etc.) and not even putting in a hint of online playability until it''s almost 90% completed. I''m grateful for all of your advice and I''ll consider it all and read everything you''ve given me as well as anything else I can get my hands on. I''m a quick study and I refuse to give up.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement