Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RavNaz

Car-Revs

Hmmm, I''ve never done it myself but you probably want to find an engine sound that you can loop at a fixed volume and tone. As the car revs/picks up speed you increase the pitch of the playback. I believe that is the basic idea and it should be possible but I''ve never actually got into the actual coding of it.

yeah, that''s fine, except usually, when you pitch a sound up or down too much, it turns ugly. Given the wide range of revs of a car (1200->7500 rpm, or 3000->22000 rpm or something for a F1 ). With a bit of cross fading for low revs and high revs (One sound for low revs, one for mid revs, one for high revs, modulate the volume and pitch of the three depending on the current revs of the engine. Make sure each scale their pitch appropriately, so they are all ''in tune''), it should sounds nice. Also, you can do nice stuff with the amount of throttle input (filter the sound slightly differently), transmission noises, the turbo pressure (hissing sounds on lift off, howling sound on acceleration, ect...), add an exhaust note, ect...

A simple way to do it for a car is to take the car''s forward velocity, and use that to modulate the engine rev. Also, use the gear ratios obviously. Innacurate, but simple. Usually, you should take the wheel rotational velocity, or the proper engine revs, with taking into acount the clutch slipping, the differencial, ect...