Debugging full screen

Started by
2 comments, last by clum 20 years, 6 months ago
How do you debug full screen games, preferably with Anjuta (though I think the same thing happens with any IDE). If you break or step into it, the debug keys (like the Fn shortcuts for Step into, etc) don''t work unless the IDE has the focus, and for some reason in X (as opposed to Windows) you can''t Alt-tab out of a full screen. During my attempts to debug, I had to reset the X server (with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace). How do you debug games in Linux?
Zorx (a Puzzle Bobble clone)Discontinuity (an animation system for POV-Ray)
Advertisement
I need a reply pretty quickly because I won''t be able to use the Internet from this afternoon until Sunday night.
i''d suggest outputing debugin informations to a text file and then look at it after you exited the application. Or you could set your application windowed for debugging and then run it fullscreen when it''s ok.

Matt
Matt
quote:Original post by lemurion
i''d suggest outputing debugin informations to a text file and then look at it after you exited the application.

I suppose that''s doable (its the old, traditional method for people who don''t know how to use debugging tools), and I''ll use that for my current problem (I''ve already narrowed don''t the part of the program where the problem is), but it''s hard to get used to not using the tools that are so useful for other types of programs.

quote:Original post by lemurion
Or you could set your application windowed for debugging and then run it fullscreen when it''s ok.

It seems silly to implement a whole feature in my program which would only be used for debugging, (its not a huge project so it doesn''t need heavy debugging all that often), though I''ll consider that if I get sick of typing cout << (Anjuta lets you see the stdout before it closes the terminal after execution so I don''t need to stick it in a file).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement