Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spinoza

Tutorial for graphics

Spinoza    103
Is there a simple tutorial for programming computer graphics. From say the stage of a drawing to an animated graphic. Say I have a drawing of a wizard. What would be the steps to transform it to a graphic that can be used in a 2D game like castlevania. Say I have a drawing of a wizard. What would be the steps to transform it to a graphic that can be used in a game like warcraft III. Say I have a drawing of a wizard. What would be the steps to transform it to a graphic that can be used in a game like Quake II (Too a 3d animated model) Preferably the tutorial would use some graphics tool and no programming would be required. Thanks for your thoughts, Spin

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
"Is there a simple tutorial for programming computer graphics."

"Preferably the tutorial would use some graphics tool and no programming would be required."

??

FtMonkey    122
quote:

Preferably the tutorial would use some graphics tool and no programming would be required.

I wish it was that easy...

It doesn''t work like that you need to use an API, like DirectX or OpenGL. For example let''s say you use GDI(the windows Graphic Device Interface) to load in a bitmap you would have to call the LoadImage() function that you can use to grab the information from a bitmap file. I would advice you to stay away from 3d graphics for now just focus on 2d. Take a look at allegro its very simple to use should help you get started(you can use it for 3d graphics when you have more experience with AllegroGL).

Spinoza    103
"Preferably the tutorial would use some graphics tool and no programming would be required."
?

Say the tutorial would use a program like (I dont really know)
3D Studio Max and there would be no actual programming of code to create an animated graphic. Just steps to import or create the image..then touch it up and last steps to animate it.

RanBlade    731
Are you looking to make games or what? Do you want to be a artisit on a team or do you just want to make computer animations? I would google the web for 3ds tut''s to find tuts to make 3D models in 3d studio max. But Iam not a artisit so I have never tried

RanBlade
"Passion is what drives you to stay up until 4am fixing that bug that hardly anyone would notice...Passion is where great games come from, if you dont live and breathe games you shouldn''t be in the games industry." - Dave Pottinger, Ensemble Studios

Spinoza    103
Your killing me here FTmonkey

Im an artist not a programmer but I want to be able to create computer graphics. There must be some program that allows artists to create work that is not programming intensive but allows game programmers to readily use graphic work.

FtMonkey    122
Oh, my bad this forum is related to programming so I thought you were talking about programming, and didn''t read your post completely so, sorry . I''m no artist so I guess my advice here is to use google something should come up. You can do the models in any modeler like 3d studio, Maya, or something like that. The programmer should take care of loading the model in with the animations(you have to worry about some stuff though like the poly count).

RuneLancer    253
Your programmer should know how to deal with various file types. Contact him/her and consult them on what they can work with. Most images are stored as bitmaps or a propriatary (sp?) variation on them (2D games) or as models generated with, say, Maya or 3D Studio Max (3D games).

Once they''re ready for use, the programmer just has to load them up into the game and do whatever there is to do (make ''em move around and shoot each other and stuff). That''s about all there is to it.

Spinoza    103
So the gist of what your saying is that artists typically use Maya or 3d Studio Max. So where are some good tutorial for either of those programs. A tutorial that moves you from a drawing on piece of paper to something that a programmer can readily use.

Also someplace you can downloard those programs or a demo of those programs would be appreciated

Thanks,

Spin

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
If you have Maya or 3D Studio already they come with quite a few good tutorials that should get you started. RTF(riendly)M.