Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

steve coward

draw order using STL 2d vector of lists

I am developing a 2d tile based RTS game. It is highly functional but my code to implement a proper drawing order is getting too complex as I add more bells and whistles. I am thinking I should use an STL container. Specifically a two dimensional vector containing pointers to STL lists of units to be drawn. Each tile in my map would have an entry (pointer to a list) in the 2d vector, ordered in typical draw order - l->r, t->b. Each list would have at least one item to draw and would rarely have more than 5 items or so. Items in the list would be ordered in draw order - back -> front. Currently I am using multiple 2d arrays - one for terrain, one for ground level units, one for units above ground level, several for various overlays (bridge, gems, craters, etc. Now that I have a basic particle generator working, I am having difficluty with implementing proper draw order and believe an STL approach could work well. I am stuck on the syntax for defining a 2D vector of lists of unit pointers. Here is my code with error description: typedef list < CUnit*, allocator < CUnit* > > LISTUNITS; typedef vector < vector > VECTOR2DUNITS; VECTOR2DUNITS v2dunits; for( x=0; x < 5; x++ ) v2dunits[x].reserve(10); // v2dunits is now like a 5x10 array CUnit* pUnit; // create Unit here pUnit = Create(TANK_ID, ...); v2dunits[2][3] = pUnit; only error message points last assignment: D:\My Projects\MFCFog\fog.cpp(2686) : error C2440: '=' : cannot convert from 'class CUnit *' to 'class std::list > *' Types pointed to are unrelated; conversion requires reinterpret_cast, C-style cast or function-style cast What is proper syntax for this? Do I need to define an allocator? [edited by - steve coward on October 10, 2003 5:14:36 PM] [edited by - steve coward on October 10, 2003 5:16:09 PM] [edited by - steve coward on October 10, 2003 5:16:51 PM] [edited by - steve coward on October 10, 2003 5:17:32 PM]

Let me give it a shot. the space between the > is important, since > and >> are two different characters.
std::vector< std::vector< CUnit > > v2dunits;  

Ok, now, you are only reserving 1 set, not both, you need a double reserve.
v2dunit.reserve(5);

for(; i < 5 ; i++)
v2dunit.at(i).reserve(10);
//you now have a 5x10 array

now pUnit is a pointer, but it doesn't point to anything? If you want blank CUnits, then you are all set. If you want to define anything, I suggest doing this:
v2dunits.at(2).at(3) = CUnit(/*insert variables*/);  

you will have to add a constructor to do that, but it is prolly one of the easier ways.

On a side note, I use .at() rather than []. I suggest at least for debugging to use .at(). .at() throws an exception when you go out of bounds, [] doesn't. It is helpful for finding memory leaks.

~~~~~
"the best thing about betting on apathy is that even when you lose, you dont care." - nethead.
Download and play Slime King I.

[edited by - dede on October 10, 2003 4:41:07 PM]

Thank you for your response.

I have edited my original post to fix the angled bracket syntax.

In reading your response I was able to find my major mistake.
I was assigning the pointer to the new unit to a vector entry instead of adding it to a list. The vector should be receiving a pointer to the list and not the unit itself.

Also I changed the reserve function to resize.

This seems to work for me:

typedef list > LISTUNITS;
typedef vector < vector > VECTOR2DUNITS;

VECTOR2DUNITS v2dunits;
LISTUNITS* pListUnits;
pListUnits = new LISTUNITS;

v2dunits.resize(5);
for( x=0; x < 5; x++ )
v2dunits.at(x).resize(10);

// v2dunits is now like a 5x10 array

CUnit* pMyUnit;
pMyUnit = MakeNewUnit(CRATE_ID, CPoint(10,10), 0, 0, 0);