Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

microsoft visual C++ or visual C++.net there a difference?

This topic is 5181 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all, I''m new here and getting myself set up to pursue a game development career. I read the for beginners article on the FAQ page and it mentioned that microsoft visual C++ would be a good compiler to start out with. Then I go to msn.com and find the visual C++.net package. Is this the same thing or something entirely different? Or if any of u might know of a decent cheap or free compiler I could possibly download that would be much appreciated. thanks. Fool me once...shame on you, fool me twice...shame on me -some famous wise dude

The FAQ is a little older, the .net version is just a later version of Visual Studio (so is the same, and probably better if you can afford it )

You can try Dev-C++ (here) for a free IDE/compiler which is powerful and pretty newbie friendly.

here is a free C++ compiler from Bloodshed. Works well enough for the small stuff and combined with http://nehe.gamedev.net OpenGL tutorials, you can get some neat stuff accomplished.

http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html

Nexpert

The Microsoft Visual C++(MSVC) they are refering to, is probably MSVC 6.0, while .net is MSVC 7.0.

I really like 6.0 and I have yet to see a site that does tutorials in 7.0 rather than 6.0.

The reason people prefer MSVC is that it is almost a game industry standard. Most game compaines use MSVC and the majority of tutorials are written for MSVC 6.0. Which means you may have to mess around to get them to work correctly.

6.0 is a bit more user friendly, since the IDE tries to combine all of Mirosoft Visual Studio into one program, while 6.0 has seperate IDEs for each one.

Since you are just starting out, I suggest you look at a university that gives out MSVC, and get both of them. I also suggest you try looking for free / cheap versons, and then when you want to release a game, make a purchase of the professional edition. By that time, you''ll know what you like and what you don''t like.

~~~~~
"the best thing about betting on apathy is that even when you lose, you dont care." - nethead.
Download and play Slime King I.

thank for the info all, i''ll give the bloodshed compiler a try and yeah i''ll wait on the pro edition for now i looked up the price for it and they wanted over a $1000 for it heh :D

Fool me once...shame on you, fool me twice...shame on me
-some famous wise dude

quote:
Original post by xsketchyx

quote:
Original post by atcdevil
Dev C++

quote:
Original post by JuNC
Dev-C++

quote:
Original post by Nexpert

Wow, 4 times DevC++ in 2:05 min. Are you guys sitting in a dark corner of the board just waiting to jump up if anyone asks for a compiler?

Regards,
VizOne

P.S. http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html

[edited by - VizOne on October 11, 2003 4:05:55 AM]

quote:
Original post by VizOne
Wow, 4 times DevC++ in 2:05 min. Are you guys sitting in a dark corner of the board just waiting to jump up if anyone asks for a compiler?

Hehe, I was thinking the same thing.

I tend to disagree that MSVC 6 is easier to use than MSVC7. The visual studio package has now a complete revamp on the IDE and is now much easier to use. Also another consideration is that the compiler and related libraries in MSVC 7 (especially 2003 version) are now much more C++ standards compliant, so no more STL issues -- also the compiler tends to optimise a lot better etc.

If you are a student also look into the Visual Studio Academic Version. This will give you the same features as the pro version but with a few extra student tools. It's a lot cheaper (like $100 at the max)

Oh and in regards to tutorials, you don't really need that many tutorials as such. The ones that microsoft are fine for getting you up and running with the IDE, and you can still use all the same headers etc that you used in MSVC 6 so the code can be the same.

quote:
Original post by dede
The Microsoft Visual C++(MSVC) they are refering to, is probably MSVC 6.0, while .net is MSVC 7.0.

I really like 6.0 and I have yet to see a site that does tutorials in 7.0 rather than 6.0.

The reason people prefer MSVC is that it is almost a game industry standard. Most game compaines use MSVC and the majority of tutorials are written for MSVC 6.0. Which means you may have to mess around to get them to work correctly.

6.0 is a bit more user friendly, since the IDE tries to combine all of Mirosoft Visual Studio into one program, while 6.0 has seperate IDEs for each one.

Since you are just starting out, I suggest you look at a university that gives out MSVC, and get both of them. I also suggest you try looking for free / cheap versons, and then when you want to release a game, make a purchase of the professional edition. By that time, you'll know what you like and what you don't like.

~~~~~
"the best thing about betting on apathy is that even when you lose, you dont care." - nethead.
Download and play Slime King I.

[edited by - deepdene on October 11, 2003 4:26:41 AM]

I am very new to C++ programming and I found that DevC++ is a lot easier to use than MS Visual C++, but then Im totally new to all this. I recommend DevC++ because its very easy to get started and make programs that compile, where as on Vis C++ they never would.

Dev-Cpp has a good e-mail user group, too. it is a lot simpler than .NET, but I got .NET for 90 USD with an academic bonus.

Scott Simontis
e-mail:ageofscott@comcast.net
AIM:ssimontis