• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DakeDesu

Quake 1 on Linux/FreeBSD

This topic is 5394 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Okay, I've known about the source code to Quake 1 being available on the Evil Twin (is Quake 2's source available?), and have heard that John Carmack tends to code platform independant code. Though, I am not sure how accurate this platform independant code statement is. Does anybody know if I were to compile Quake(1|2) on my FreeBSD 5-current box, if it would most likely work? If so, where can I find tools necessary to create a Quake mod on my FreeBSD box? They do not need to be native to FreeBSD, but native tools to FreeBSD and/or Linux would be prefered. Also what are some decent web resources on making Quake mods? I will be doing a google search and checking out PlanetQuake once I learn more--but sometimes modification docs are a little hard to find (I had a little bit of fun looking for how to model an Unreal Tournament--almost nothing useful online as far as I could find). Thanks in advance.
Member of the Shove Pouya Off A Cliff club, SPOAC. If you wish to join, add these two lines to your signature ------------------------------------------------------------ DAIAGA Dave Astle is a God Association. To join, put this in your sig! [ Got Immortality? ] [ Home page ] [ Evil Twin ] [ Jargon File ] [ Politics Forum ] Projects: [ Game Developer Man ] [ Variables ] [ YearNeo/VariaML ] [ Daytanea ] [ Gnu-Com: Alien Research ] [edited by - DakeDesu on October 10, 2003 9:20:41 PM]

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
I think the quakeforge port should compile on FreeBSD
http://www.quakeforge.net/

Did you check the ports?? I went to the games dir and found quake 1 and 2 stuff( fuhquake, quake2forge, quake2lnx, quakeforge, quakeserver). You should try those out first.

quote:
Original post by Galapaegos
Did you check the ports?? I went to the games dir and found quake 1 and 2 stuff( fuhquake, quake2forge, quake2lnx, quakeforge, quakeserver). You should try those out first.

Currently, I do not have the ports ability on this FreeBSD box, as it is currently a standalone unit (not connected to the internet).

However, I checked out the quakeforge link and it looks good--but where can I find the tools for editing the game files?

Thanks in Advance

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!