Quake 1 on Linux/FreeBSD

Started by
2 comments, last by DakeDesu 20 years, 6 months ago
Okay, I've known about the source code to Quake 1 being available on the Evil Twin (is Quake 2's source available?), and have heard that John Carmack tends to code platform independant code. Though, I am not sure how accurate this platform independant code statement is. Does anybody know if I were to compile Quake(1|2) on my FreeBSD 5-current box, if it would most likely work? If so, where can I find tools necessary to create a Quake mod on my FreeBSD box? They do not need to be native to FreeBSD, but native tools to FreeBSD and/or Linux would be prefered. Also what are some decent web resources on making Quake mods? I will be doing a google search and checking out PlanetQuake once I learn more--but sometimes modification docs are a little hard to find (I had a little bit of fun looking for how to model an Unreal Tournament--almost nothing useful online as far as I could find). Thanks in advance. Member of the Shove Pouya Off A Cliff club, SPOAC. If you wish to join, add these two lines to your signature ------------------------------------------------------------ DAIAGA Dave Astle is a God Association. To join, put this in your sig! [ Got Immortality? ] [ Home page ] [ Evil Twin ] [ Jargon File ] [ Politics Forum ] Projects: [ Game Developer Man ] [ Variables ] [ YearNeo/VariaML ] [ Daytanea ] [ Gnu-Com: Alien Research ] [edited by - DakeDesu on October 10, 2003 9:20:41 PM]
[ Six Hour Game Contest | ( Thread | Blog | Wiki | 6hour Bio ) ][ Website | (Blog | Gallery ) ]
Advertisement
I think the quakeforge port should compile on FreeBSD
http://www.quakeforge.net/
Did you check the ports?? I went to the games dir and found quake 1 and 2 stuff( fuhquake, quake2forge, quake2lnx, quakeforge, quakeserver). You should try those out first.
-brad
quote:Original post by Galapaegos
Did you check the ports?? I went to the games dir and found quake 1 and 2 stuff( fuhquake, quake2forge, quake2lnx, quakeforge, quakeserver). You should try those out first.

Currently, I do not have the ports ability on this FreeBSD box, as it is currently a standalone unit (not connected to the internet).

However, I checked out the quakeforge link and it looks good--but where can I find the tools for editing the game files?

Thanks in Advance
[ Six Hour Game Contest | ( Thread | Blog | Wiki | 6hour Bio ) ][ Website | (Blog | Gallery ) ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement