Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

demonrealms

How would you do this....

Hey, I was wondering if anyone had an idea how you''d put a web browser in your program. I want it so in my I.M./Email system will also have a built-in feature to make your own webpages. But I want it to display the page in the program. Is this possible? Can you get into trouble for charging so much a month for a product with a web browser in it? These are the questions I''ve been questioning for sometime. Any idea''s and I''m open, Thanks in advance, demonrealms - [sonfig.status->TRUE];

Yes, your IDE, if it is Rapid Application Development oriented, should have tools that will allow you to snap stuff like that into your application. Visual Studio I know does this, you could pretty much make a web browser without having to type that many lines for it. And you can set the address for local files as well,so if you have a preview function, you can just set the default address as the page they are working on, or something like that. I hope this information helps.

quote:
Original post by demonrealms
I thought about that but won''t u get sued by microsoft for using thier brower and putting in your software and then making money off of the program?

No.

Search for a post awhile back about this.

I ended up using Spirit to write an HTML parser and then I can use that to convert it into a RichEdit control. I just needed very basic text mark up, not page "layout" in HTML.

I am inherently wary about embedding IE into an application. There doesn't seem to be a way to sandbox the control by disabling all active scripting and whatnot. Far too many viruses have spread through Outlook's short-sighted and unnecessary use of an IE control to render the message window, and I don't want my app becoming another way a virus can spread.

Ultimately, since I'm receiving data from the network, I don't trust the other side at all. Thus, I shy away from the IE control even if its more work for me.

[edited by - antareus on October 11, 2003 4:07:01 PM]

Hey, thanks for all the replies they''ve helped
me out a lot. I have just one more question.
Why whenever I add an activeX contorl to my dialogbox it returns NULL and doesn''t show up? These''s got to be somthing I''m doing wrong. But I can''t put my fingure on it. It can''t be the code,
because it works fine till I add a activeX control to my dialogbox. Then After I compiler it and run it it says sorry dialogbox returned NULL. Anyone know why?
Thanks,
demonrealms