Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Memory Leaking

This topic is 5175 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

In the TTT demo of James Trotter I saw a file containing memory leaking,''memoryleaks.log'' and I thought he personally made the log(manually) and I browsed the source and didn`t found anything to prove that . Therefore I guess it`s something that MSVC++ (6) can generate for you right ? Can anyone tell me what should I do to generate that file ? Thanks in advance

I would recommend you to use a memory manager. I used the mmgr memory manager by Paul Nettle - its excellent.

ftp://ftp.flipcode.com/code/mmgr.zip

VC6 has no built-in facility for creating a log file of this nature, but it does have a built-in facility for detecting memory leaks. Search MSDN for an article entitled 'Detecting and Isolating Memory Leaks Using Microsoft Visual C++', or click here.

An addendum - If you're using Windows 2K or XP, the OS's performance monitor is an excellent tool for monitoring memory/resource consumption and locating leaks. See this article.

[edited by - Ferdinand the Bull on October 11, 2003 9:16:58 AM]

Yes, that was Paul Nettle's memory manager. It's really excellent! Although I've had a couple of problems with it... It doesn't like iostream much, and tends to crash when I include the header... I think it does the same with a couple of STL objects, but I'm not sure.

Hehe, well I really didn't have time to fix that little problem , so please forgive me..

[edited by - James Trotter on October 12, 2003 4:31:58 PM]