Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Boltimus

Getting bytes from resources

Ok, so I got my resources loaded into MS VC 6.0 and am trying to get to the actual bytes of the resource, but I am having difficulties. It''s not a standard type, basically I''ve added a text file as a resource and am trying to get to the bytes of it. so here''s what I''m trying to do...
 HGLOBAL resrc_ptr;
         HRSRC   Hrsrc;
         resrc_ptr = LoadResource(NULL, Hrsrc);
	 COB_OBJECT_RESOURCE_ptr = LockResource(resrc_ptr); 
the thing is, when I check the return value of resrc_ptr, it is NULL, which in so many words means that it is failing. Has anyone else had to access the data from a non-standard resource file and done it successfully. I''ve been looking up and down the MSDN, but it doesn''t seem to address resources that are non-standard and are that in your .exe file. It just goes over what to do if it is in another module... Please help... ~Bolt ~Bolt "All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible." This I did...

According to the docs for LoadResource, the HRSRC handle should be returned from FindResource or FindResourceEx

HRSRC FindResource(
HMODULE hModule, // module handle
LPCTSTR lpName, // resource name
LPCTSTR lpType // resource type
);

The resource type that you want to use is RT_RCDATA, but you should read the remarks section of the docs for that function as there are a few things to note about it''s use.

At any rate, to put this all together:

HGLOBAL resrc_ptr;
HRSRC Hrsrc = FindResource(NULL, "MyDataName", RT_RCDATA);
resrc_ptr = LoadResource(NULL, Hrsrc);
COB_OBJECT_RESOURCE_ptr = LockResource(resrc_ptr);