level designer

Started by
5 comments, last by stooge_dev 20 years, 6 months ago
How do you gain experience to become a level designer? Does one simply ask developers that have games in the developemnt to assist in designing levels for them?
Advertisement
Yeah, just ask away:D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Founder of:
"Game on Gaming"
wwww.gameongaming.tk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
------------------------------------------My on-going quest: www.johnomahony.tk"Production Programmer" for Red Goat Gameswww.redgoatgames.com------------------------------------------
ussally what you would have to do is have a lot of work to show them from desgining lvls in mods for games such as morrowind or halflife(you will also need to know some other programs, none that i can name now). What they will really want when you present yourself to them is to show them something they dont have. You need to show them something diffrent not just the run of the mill mod but something not thought of to that exact extent really.

RanBlade
"Passion is what drives you to stay up until 4am fixing that bug that hardly anyone would notice...Passion is where great games come from, if you dont live and breathe games you shouldn''t be in the games industry." - Dave Pottinger, Ensemble Studios

Eric Ranaldi a.k.a RanBlade

[size=1]"Passion is what drives you to stay up until 4am fixing that bug that hardly anyone would notice...

[size=1]Passion is where great games come from, if you dont live and breathe games you shouldn't be in the games industry."

[size=2]- Dave Pottinger, Ensemble Studios

[size=1][GameDev][C++ Page][Unity Game Engine][Panda3D Game Engine][NeHe Productions][Drunken Hyena][MSDN][Beej's Guide to Network Programming]

[size=1][FreedBSD][My Site][Gamasutra][Khan Acadamey]

and having lvls in some games you have made with friends will help a lot too. not just mods but mods are the easiest way to have a lot of resources for making a lvl

RanBlade
"Passion is what drives you to stay up until 4am fixing that bug that hardly anyone would notice...Passion is where great games come from, if you dont live and breathe games you shouldn''t be in the games industry." - Dave Pottinger, Ensemble Studios

Eric Ranaldi a.k.a RanBlade

[size=1]"Passion is what drives you to stay up until 4am fixing that bug that hardly anyone would notice...

[size=1]Passion is where great games come from, if you dont live and breathe games you shouldn't be in the games industry."

[size=2]- Dave Pottinger, Ensemble Studios

[size=1][GameDev][C++ Page][Unity Game Engine][Panda3D Game Engine][NeHe Productions][Drunken Hyena][MSDN][Beej's Guide to Network Programming]

[size=1][FreedBSD][My Site][Gamasutra][Khan Acadamey]

if youre starting get worldcraft for half-life. its very easy to use and hammer, i think its called, for hl2 will look pretty much the same so you could try joining a mod-team for hl2 when that comes out
check out planethalflife.com
//---------//Ueberbobo//*********
Yes, I''ll be just starting out. The only game that I have that those editors will support is Quake. I take it these editors are mainly used for creating levels for 3d games? What is the approach for designing levels for 2d games?
In 2D games I am pretty sure you use a simplified editor, like the Age of EMpires II editor.

Scott Simontis
e-mail:ageofscott@comcast.net
AIM:ssimontis
Scott SimontisMy political blog

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement