Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cortez

Using GL for 2D

Cortez    122
I''ve been working on a 2D tile-base RPG, and so far I''ve used DirectDraw. However, I''m eager to switch it to OpenGL. I''ve started docs on GL, but nowhere I could find 2d focused GL tutorials. I''ve 2 questions.. -Is there a way to load and use non-power-of-2-sized bitmaps? -I hope I can express this one; say I have a bitmap 256 by 256 and screen 640*480. I want to use GL as pure 2d. How can I make 256*256 bitmap as 256*256 on the screen?

stephanh    174
quote:

-Is there a way to load and use non-power-of-2-sized bitmaps?

Not by default, check the NV_texture_rectangle extension, it allows you to use non-power-of-two textures.
http://oss.sgi.com/projects/ogl-sample/registry/NV/texture_rectangle.txt

quote:

-I hope I can express this one; say I have a bitmap 256 by 256 and screen 640*480. I want to use GL as pure 2d. How can I make 256*256 bitmap as 256*256 on the screen?

Setup an orthographic projection. (See redbook or the "Masking an Ortho Mode" Tutorial on http://www.gametutorials.com/Tutorials/opengl/OpenGL_Pg2.htm).
Then draw a quad with 256,256 extents and texture it with you bitmap.

// In case you use non-power-2 textures

glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_NV, texID );

glBegin(GL_QUADS);
glTexCoord2f(0.0f,0.0f);
glVertex2f(0,0);

glTexCoord2f(1,0);
glVertex2f( width,0.0f);

glTexCoord2f(1,1);
glVertex2f( width, height);;

glTexCoord2f(0,1);
glVertex2f(0.0f,height);

glEnd();

eisscholle.de

[edited by - stephanh on October 11, 2003 10:34:53 AM]

rick_appleton    864
1. yes you can, but only through recent extensions. If you can avoid using non-power-of-two textures, I would really do that.

2. use glOrtho2D to set the width and height of the viewspace to the width and height of the window. Then if you create a square 256x256 with the texture on it, each pixel in the texture will become a single pixel on the screen (note that if this is always the case, you don''t need to mipmap the textures).

UltimaX    468
1) You can also use gluBuild2DMipmaps as it will resize it to the nearest power for you.

2) See above

-UltimaX-

"You wished for a white christmas... Now go shovel your wishes!"

Raloth    379
Don''t use vender specific extensions...try this:

http://oss.sgi.com/projects/ogl-sample/registry/ARB/texture_non_power_of_two.txt

stephanh    174
quote:
Original post by Raloth
Don''t use vender specific extensions...try this:

http://oss.sgi.com/projects/ogl-sample/registry/ARB/texture_non_power_of_two.txt

oops. sorry, wasn''t aware of an ARB equivalent.

Cortez    122
Thanks, that solves the problem. As a GL lamer, I have some more 2d questions

-How can I get a certain piece of a texture into another texture? Ie, I load a tile set (which is non-power-of-two, and I need to break it into power-of-two pieces)
-I just want to discard black (0,0,0) pixels. I've looked around about masking in NeHe, and "Masking an Ortho Mode", but they seem to work..different. Again, what I'm trying to do is to discard black pixels.

[edited by - Cortez on October 12, 2003 7:03:55 AM]

OrangyTang    1298
Instead of colour keying, use alpha blending or testing. This means your textures need an alpha channel. Either create this in your image editing program (.png is nice to work with) and load it in as RGBA (or similar) or do it at load time - any pixels with a colour of black become alpha 0, others are alpha 1.

Then you use blending or testing to remove your black pixels. Making the alpha in an actual image program will give nicer results though.