Windows dialogs as DX game's user interface ?

Started by
4 comments, last by Craazer 20 years, 6 months ago
Hi, how many game''s uses windows''s dialogs as their UI? Is there any? At lest many 3D game''s have very similar looking and functionin dialogs than window does. So my main queston is could you consider a 2D/3D game using direct-x using windows as it''s UI a good idea? From my expirience''s direct draws application leaves to run in back round if any dialogs occur. But maybe it''s becose of exclusive mode?
Advertisement
If you don''t want to port to MacOS or Linux, then using the Windows GUI is fine.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
If you don''t want to port to MacOS or Linux, then using the Windows GUI is fine.

But when I last time tryed to use win GUI whit exclusive fullscreen running direct draw application the dialogs paused the game (msg box actualy). So does some one have expirience using them and how to set up direct draw so game can still run..?
MessageBoxes will stop any program. Look up ''modeless'' dialog boxes.
The fact that Windows should be used in the users desired desktop resolution together with the fact that DirectX works best in full screen means that almost all games that use a Windows GUI do it in a window. There are games that do that but I''ve never seen a full screen game that uses the Windows GUI. What if your screen preferences had massive fonts? or thick title bars? etc... I think windows style menus and sliders makes games easier to use (like the old Unreal Tournament) but ideally these would be written yourself... it''ll probably be faster than trying to use the Windows GUI and solving it''s problems. Just my opinion.

Mark
Bytten Independent Games Magazine
http://www.bytten.com
Sound Effects For Game Developers
http://www.indiesfx.co.uk
Yes you can write the code yourself.... but another thing you could do, is use modeless owner-drawn dialog boxes (that is, you control how they are painted, how they look, but it acts as a normal windows dialog. (That is you can use a WndProc, etc to catch messages)

And yes, MessageBoxes will suspend the program until they are closed, unless the MessageBox is called from another thread....

I believe modeless boxes *will* work in Fullscreen exclusive mode.... however I think it will change the resolution back to the system setting when the dialog box appears, and once the dialog box is closed, you may have to restore all the surfaces/planes/vertices whatever and restore the screen resolution.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement