I need help with games!!!!!

Started by
47 comments, last by bloodthirsty vermin 20 years, 6 months ago
Not to be an ass, but judging by how much you know right now, and by the amount of research you have been unable to do yourself, I think you probably have some pretty unrealistic goals. Not to burst your bubble, but I''ve spent the last 6 months learning C++, and getting a handle on how everything works, like my compiler and how a game loop works and other basic game theory(plus some time with WIN32). I am only now starting to play with my weapon of choice(SDL), and have only recently played around with blitting and sprites. I hope to start my first real game in the next couple of weeks.

Now 6 months may not seem like a long time to you, but keep in mind that I spent quite a bit of money on books, and read quite a few tutorials/articals/white-papers. All in all I probably read about 500 pages of programming related goodness a day(no joke).

I''m not saying a 13 year old couldn''t do the same with no money, and less reading... but I have my doubts as you have shown no drive to do your own legwork--and you need a lot of drive to learn all this crap.

That being said, I''d try using Flash, or Multimedia Fusion, or a Klik and play type solution so that you don''t get bogged down in all the complicated programming jargon, yet still get a grasp on programming logic. If those things seem too easy for you, I''d go for DarkBasic, or even Visual Basic.
Advertisement
Or just continue what you are doing because at this point you dont have much to looose and the experince you get will help you out a lot.
Actually, I was in his exact position fairly recently (I think I may have been a bit younger, however) and I had "windows game programming for dumies" which starts with the GDI, and goes into DirectDraw from there. I made some cool little GDI programs, but got confused by DirectDraw/DirectX. Then I found OpenGL somewhere in there, and stuck with it. I don''t know why I found it easier than DirectX, but I definately did. Looking back I''m glad I did what I did, but in all honesty I probably had the most fun with the GDI, even though I didn''t do anything with good graphics, or even bitmaps. In fact, I mostly used ASCII text moving around. You might want to try that out before using you''re "final" API.

NOTE: You can probably ignore my last post, as this one is better in my opinion
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
quote:Original post by bloodthirsty vermin
I kinda know c++ but cant afford books (im 13 with no allowance
whatsoever) and i cant fint tutorials on that stuff and what the heck is an api?

If you click on the Articles & Resources link and go under languages you find links to few free e-books on C++ (Think In C++, to name one).
Yeah game makers suck if you ask me, you spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to do something and how to use the program in general, to later on find out it''s limited in some sort of way and you can''t do what you want to do. Keep working on it and eventually at least you''ll be able to do simple games like tetris, pong or whatever. Don''t try to make a game like harvest moon cuz you will probably fail...eventually if you do get better you should be able to at least program a 2d version (like the old snes game). But we are talking a lot of hard work and experience here. You should at least try to get some books it''s really hard learning online only without any books. Anyway start small don''t try to make a game like GTA as your first project so you can actually do something, think tetris, pacman, snake, pong, ...
Good Luck!
The monkeys are listening...
Ok, I feel like helping out because I started game programming at about your age. You say you know C++. Do you really? Do you know what a pointer is and what a switch statement does and how to use loops properly to run a game? If not, then that is no drastic problem, but this is what concers me "I want to make a game like Harvest Moon where you can play on the internet in a online world". Calm down a bit - it is not going to happen for a while. Not saying it won''t happen, but I suggest you drop that idea for the time being. You will begin by makeing small games like Pong or Space Invaders. Heres what you should do:

http://www.cs.uu.nl/~markov/gmaker/

Go there. You can download ''Game Maker'' and start with it. I did. Now I use DirectX, C++, and I am currently writing a complex artifical-inteligance program that learns and adapts as the game is played. The great thing about Game Maker is that you can make your game with simple click-and-play type stuff, or, once you get more experienced, you can go for the full coding language that is built in. Use it. Learn to program. Then go back to C++. Write again in 6 months.
FTMonkey, I read your post above, and at first couldn't tell weather you were talking about game developers (humans), or programs that aid in the making of games... then I figured it out

[edited by - cowsarenotevil on October 11, 2003 12:51:25 AM]
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
quote:Original post by cowsarenotevil
FTMonkey, I read your post above, and at first couldn't tell weather you were talking about game developers (humans), or programs that aid in the making of games... then I figured it out

[edited by - cowsarenotevil on October 11, 2003 12:51:25 AM]

Yeah I should have expressed that a little better, I didn't mean to offend anybody... What I meant to say is non-human game makers suck...

[edited by - FtMonkey on October 12, 2003 1:02:04 AM]
The monkeys are listening...
They may have limited ability, but so-called "no-programming required" programs DO teach you how to program. They all use boolean logic, and data structures like every other language. I do agree that they are limited, but I don''t think they are a complete waste of time.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement