Direct3D Optimizations...how to?

Started by
3 comments, last by Supernat02 20 years, 6 months ago
Hi, I''m designing a tile based D3D game. My problem is that without rendering anything at all, I am only getting 60 FPS frame rate. I noticed on the Samples shipped with DirectX that an average frame rate can be in the upper hundreds while drawing primitives. Are there any optimizations can I perform in the creation of the D3D Device and Object that might help push this up? For example, dithering, Z-Buffer, etc... Thanks in advance! Chris
Chris ByersMicrosoft DirectX MVP - 2005
Advertisement
Use D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_IMMEDIATE when you declare your Present Parameters. You can search the DirectX forum for this special question.

Rick Wong
Just out of curiocity,

using D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_IMMEDIATE will cause it to present the image without waiting for the vertical retrace correct?

if so would not waiting for it cause any adverse effects?

or would it just be the fact that your not locking the framerate to the maximum of your screen refresh?

it would seem like if you are updating the frame more times a second than the screen is refreshing then it would appear as though your ''dropping'' frames?

Raymond Jacobs,

www.EDIGames.com

www.EtherealDarkness.com

Raymond Jacobs, Owner - Ethereal Darkness Interactive
www.EDIGames.com - EDIGamesCompany - @EDIGames

If you are updating quicker than your monitor can refresh then you can get what is called tearing, where the top part of the screen shows one frame and the bottom another. Usually there is only a small diference in frames so at the join it looks like the botttom half is slightly shifted
Thanks so much for pointing out what this parameter actually does. I was wondering why it did not improve my frame rate by even 1 frame, and now after some other changes to improve my rate, I''m seeing tearing...so it makes more sense now. You saved me lots of debug time on this one.

Thanks,
Chris
Chris ByersMicrosoft DirectX MVP - 2005

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement