Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Deeptrouble

Strange problem with Windows XP networking

The following text is rather lengthy, but PLEASE take a look. I need a solution badly. Thank you everyone! I have a strange problem with windows XP. I really need to have this stupid operating system on my computer. Here is the problem statement: 1) I need to have my Internet connection running under the previous normal parameters. The current state: 1) The connection works very bad, loosing about 50-80 packets. 2) For example, if I try to load http://www.flipcode.com, I am able to download about 30 percent of the page after which my connection freezes. 3) If I try to copy something from the local network I get speeds like 0.5 B/s. The previous state: 1) About 5 Mb/s when downloading from the network (sometimes less, but rarely less than 500 kb/s) 2) About 70 kb/s when surfing the net. Additional comments: 1) I have used Win XP for about 1 year or even more (Win XP sp 1). 2) I am connected to Internet through a LAN. 3) The switch to which my cable was connected was changed two weeks ago. 4) Everyone else who is connected to this switch has Windows XP, Me, or Linux and has his Internet connection running very well. 6) My network adapter is a Realtek 100 MB What I tried to do: 1) I reinstalled Windows XP (with disk formatting and everything) 2) I plugged my cable in my room-mate''s computer. His connection worked flawlessly. (so my cable isn''t broken.) 3) I used my room-mates cable on my computer. My connection worked the same as before (BAD) 4) I took my computer to another friend of mine connected to the same switch. I used his cable. The connection worked flawlessly again. (So my network adapter isn''t broken). 5) I changed the port in the switch. No difference. 6) I checked with the guy working at the server. I wasn''t banned or something like that. This results look VERY contradictory (particulary 2 and 6) and I can''t make anything out of it. I need a lot of help with this problem. If anyone can help me I appreciate it.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Lemme guess... the cable runs by an electric generator or a helluva big source of interference...

It sounds to me like your network interface card may have gone bad. Luckily, now days NICs are dirt cheap, and you should probably be able to pick one up for around $10, IIRC.

Try swapping out your Ethernet card with a different one and see if the problem goes away.

True that. I had the same symptoms about 2 months ago on one of my computers. Turned out the LinkSys NIC went bad.. Replaced it with a new one and VROOOOM!!

// CHRIS