Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

citizen3019

Convert decimal to string of Binary digits

// I''m trying to convert and INT/UINT to a binary string. // Does anyone have a better way to do this? void PrintBin(unsigned u) { unsigned uCNT = 0, // bit in string (start with first) uSHL = 31; // bit to test (start with last) char szBits[33] = {0}; // string of bits // test each bit for off (48 == ''0'') or on (49 == ''1'') while (32 > uCNT) szBits[uCNT++] = (u & (1 << uSHL--) ? 49 : 48); // print the string of bits cout << szBits << ''\n''; } // My code looks like words I can''t say in public forums; // Please advise, thnx

Look on here for probably the easiest way to do it. Make a std::ostringstream, and use the iomanipulators to set the base to 2. then use the str() method to get the string... or str().c_str() if you want a C String. BTW, that site uses unqualified access to namespace std... so either qualify the manipulators (preferable)... or do a using directive.

EDIT: Info about namespace

[edited by - dmounty on October 11, 2003 7:39:02 PM]

thnx dmounty...

...but that just doesn''t seem to be a better conversion method.
The printing of the string is not important to me so I''m really only concerned with a clear function that others can step through to understand the process if necessary.

-c3019

Well if its just for someone to step through and understand how it works... it seems quite clear whats going on. It illustrates the use of the post increment and bitshift operators very nicely too.

EDIT: missed a word out :S

[edited by - dmounty on October 11, 2003 8:18:06 PM]