C++ Knowledge for Game Programming

Started by
11 comments, last by Program 20 years, 6 months ago
I read a few C++ books and tutorials and I''m going to read a game programming book or tutorial soon. My question is what C++ knowledge is needed to program a game and what C++ features are used? I''m reading The C++ Programming Language. I was only going to read Part 3 of it which talks about classes, operator overloading, exceptions, and more stuff needed to create types. Are does things used a lot in game programming or are there others things used more?
Advertisement
Uummm...the entire language is used?
youll need supporting technologys such as DirectX also..
You can do without the standard template library and the iostreams library. I find the C IO library (fopen/fread/ etc) much easier to deal with for binary file I/O.

The STL is convenient once you know it, but it''s optional for just creating a game using C++.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Learn everything the more you know the less trouble you are going to have later on.
Yup, it''s like a toolset. You could drill holes, affix nails, and put in screws, using only a screwdriver; but it''d be better to have a screwdriver, drill, and hammer available to you. The more of the language you know, the more you can advantage of that to save time and mess.

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.
Enginuity1 | Enginuity2 | Enginuity3 | Enginuity4
ry. .ibu cy. .abu ry. dy. "sy. .ubu py. .ebu ry. py. .ibu gy." fy. .ibu ny. .ebu

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

this is probably gonna sound crap, but i think its much better to have a very sound knowledge of all the features of c/c++ before jumping into writing a game. if you rush into it (like i did ) you''ll end up throwing the book at the monitor, well maybe not that bad, but its a safe bet you''ll get frustrated pretty quickly

good luck and post some screenies of your first game :D

Get busy livin'' or get busy dyin''... - Shawshank Redemption
Altered Vision
Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'... - Shawshank RedemptionIf a man is talking in the forest, and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong? - UnknownFulcrum
quote:Original post by superpig
Yup, it''s like a toolset. You could drill holes, affix nails, and put in screws, using only a screwdriver; but it''d be better to have a screwdriver, drill, and hammer available to you. The more of the language you know, the more you can advantage of that to save time and mess.

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.
Enginuity1 | Enginuity2 | Enginuity3 | Enginuity4
ry. .ibu cy. .abu ry. dy. "sy. .ubu py. .ebu ry. py. .ibu gy." fy. .ibu ny. .ebu

Game programming languages are like tools, like he said. Lets say C++ is a wrench and Python is a hammer. You could hammer a nail with a wrench, but a hammer would be more effective. Consider some scripting languages as well. The STL is a good think to know.

Scott Simontis
e-mail:ageofscott@comcast.net
AIM:ssimontis
Scott SimontisMy political blog
I already know most of C++, I''m just reading a book to get a deeper understanding of it. I don''t really want to read the whole of The C++ Programming Language, but I''d read the whole thing if it''s necessary to learn enough C++ to program games. I need to know what parts I should really understand and know a lot about.
quote:Original post by Program
I read a few C++ books and tutorials and I'm going to read a game programming book or tutorial soon. My question is what C++ knowledge is needed to program a game and what C++ features are used? I'm reading The C++ Programming Language. I was only going to read Part 3 of it which talks about classes, operator overloading, exceptions, and more stuff needed to create types. Are does things used a lot in game programming or are there others things used more?

Let me put it this way, the more you know about the language the better off you are. No C++ knowledge isn't required to write games. People have used other languages like Qbasic, Java etc. C and C++ are the most common languages for professional game developers. The features one uses varies depending on what they're tring to do and how they've designed the program. Classes, overloading, exceptions, user types are quite common.
If I were you I wouldn't be in such a rush to develope a game.
By rushing through C++ your denying yourself access to some very useful and powerful tools.

[edited by - prh99 on October 11, 2003 10:00:13 PM]
Patrick
I''m not really in a rush. I''ve been programming for almost a year and I already know C and C++ and I haven''t made a single game aside from tic tac toe game I made with text. I just don''t really feel like reading the entire book since I already know what it talks about but just not in depth.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement