Simple C Program

Started by
17 comments, last by twix 20 years, 6 months ago
Hello. I'm reading C Primer Plus while trying to learn the C programming language. I've only been at it for about a week. I'm having trouble figuring out how to create a simple converter. I'm trying to make the program start by telling the user to enter the amount of fathoms he wishes to convert into feet. After the user enters a number, I want the program to respond with something like, "There are __ feet in __ fathoms." There are probably many ways of doing this, but I want to know if it's possible using only the functions I've been practicing. If you would be so kind, please give me a list of possible C source codes for such a program. Try to make it as similar to my own as possible, except make sure yours works. =) Here's a paste of my flawed source code: http://rafb.net/paste/results/As660589.html Thanks, again. [edited by - SirDeity on October 11, 2003 10:36:27 PM]
I''m a major newbie, aspiring game developer. Feel free to E-mail me. Pen pals are wanted! Please be patient with me also! Thank you!
Advertisement
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <stdio.h>

int main( int argc, char *argv[] ){

int fathoms;
printf("Enter the number of fathoms you'd like to convert into feet.\n");
scanf("%d", &fathoms);
printf("There are %d feet in %d fathoms!\n", fathoms*6, fathoms);

return 0;
}

sorry if the C sintax isnt very good, long time being using C++ only.
the problem with your function is that your tried to multiply by 6 before you had the fathoms.

int x = x*6; //very wrong

hope it helps.

[edited by - a2ps on October 11, 2003 10:51:09 PM]
yet, another stupid signature..
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
main(void)
{
int feet, fathoms;

printf("Enter the number of fathoms you''d like to convert into feet.\n");
scanf("%d", &fathoms); // You must first read the amount of fathoms
feet = fathoms * 6; //Then you do the conversion
printf("There are %d feet in %d fathoms!\n", feet, fathoms);
getchar();
getchar();
return 0;
}

You had an error in line 8 "fathoms = fathoms*feet;" because you were multiplying a variable, fathoms, with no inicial value.
Move the fathoms=fathmos*feet line below the scanf line - (and before the printing results line) should work then...
hehe, 3 reply''s and all telling the same.
Those were some fast respones. Thank you all!

Dr_BCC, perfect response. It was better than I had hoped for. Thank you very much! Now I completely understand my mistake.
I''m a major newbie, aspiring game developer. Feel free to E-mail me. Pen pals are wanted! Please be patient with me also! Thank you!
I''m having another similar problem. I''ve been trying to make this work for over two hours. The book hasn''t covered assigning words or sentences to variables. I only know how to assign numbers. Using the same code, or using as little new code as possible, how can you make this work?

Assignment: Write a program that produces the following output:

For he''s a jolly good fellow!
Which nobody can deny!

Instructions: Have the program use two user-defined functions in addition to main(): one that prints the jolly good message once, and one that prints the final line once.

This time, I don''t think I''m anywhere near being close. The best response would be one similar to Dr_BCC''s previous one. Here''s a paste of my flawed source code. I''ll include a couple different failed attempts so you can guess what my intentions were.

http://rafb.net/paste/results/x2992340.html
Just the relevant portions of the code:

void Jolly ( void )
{
printf ( "For he''s a jolly good fellow,\n" );
}

void Deny ( void )
{
printf ( "Which nobody can deny.\n" );
}

int main ( void )
{
for ( int a = 0; a < 3; a++ )
Jolly ();

Deny ();

return 0;
}
That''s C I haven''t learned yet; the book hasn''t covered it. Are there any other ways of creating this program?

These lines haven''t been discussed in the book yet:

for ( int a = 0; a < 3; a++ )
// I haven''t yet learned how to use the "for" keyword.

Jolly ();
// I haven''t learned how to use the void word(void) functions yet. The only voids used so far are main and butler. I haven''t seen any examples of the word(); function being used.

Deny ();
// Same as the above statement/function.

Thanks! =)

Without knowing the for loop, you could just do

Jolly();
Jolly();
Jolly();

------------------------------------------------------------
// TODO: Insert clever comment here.
------------------------------------------------------------// TODO: Insert clever comment here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement