A program to fabricate and articulate a plausible interlude

Started by
129 comments, last by bishop_pass 20 years, 4 months ago
I was thinking of making this game. It would be text based for two reasons: 1)I have grown to like text based more. It somehow seems more realistic to me. 2)I will be able to focus more on the game itself and not the displaying of graphics.

This is off topic, but is the Scheme lisp dialect any good. That is what the MIT open courseware uses. Its a basic course, but it has some useful terminology and teaches lisp.
--------------------------I present for tribute this haiku:Inane Ravings OfThe Haunting JubilationA Mad Engineer©Copyright 2005 ExtrariusAll Rights Reserved
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Witchcraven
This is off topic, but is the Scheme lisp dialect any good. That is what the MIT open courseware uses. Its a basic course, but it has some useful terminology and teaches lisp.

I asked a similar question here. There should be something there that helps. Cheers.
quote:Original post by Witchcraven
I was thinking of making this game.
What game, exactly?
I think this idea could very well be used in the future, it's a good idea, but the initial setting up and refining of the system to generate genre specific storylines seems like it would be extremely difficult.

In a game there are many variables to consider in the outcomes of all situations, and if you're using prior events to drive the story forward, all of these variables (at least in my mind) would have to be taken into consideration to generate the next episode.

Take for example the stagecoach example. You may successfully rob the passengers without having to kill anyone, or you may have to kill someone and still get the money, either way could be considered a victory because you got what you were after. On the other hand, you could attempt to rob the stagecoach, not get the money, still kill someone in trying to rob them and still consider this as a victory depending if you're a ruthless criminal/killer or something and weren't necessarily there for the money.

The story engine would have to take into account all of these possible outcomes and label them as good or bad so that it may take your previous choices and put them into the story, which may not be that easy considering your prior experiences and whether you want to be good or bad.

This is how I have interpreted the posts so far, that the story will always be evolving based on past sceanarios, but please correct me if I am wrong.

[edited by - caffeineaddict on October 18, 2003 11:27:01 PM]
Robbing and/or killing obviously flags you as doing that. It shouldn''t be too difficult for a program to consider this.
Oh yeah, you might want to read about the Roger Schank book I bought today and described in this thread.
I think I''ve figured out a somewhat intuitive and comprehensive way to provide the necessary knowledge for interlude story generation. The system would allow people familiar with Lisp in general and some type of knowledge engineering flair to build a scalable system with genre specific knowledge.

Nothing radical here with regard to souped up algorithms, which is good - it''s just an approach and method of encoding the correct knowledge at the appropriate granularity and a method to allow for growth and consistency as it grows.
details? =)
I''m actually quite pleased with the details. I don''t know of others in this arena (game development) pursuing anything like this, frankly. I''ve decided the details are for those earnestly interested in codeveloping something along the lines of this project. I''m actually quite eager now to begin working on a prototype system. If anyone here is seriously interested, please let me know. I intend for it to be developed in Lisp, because it conforms to that development platform so well.
I now have my original computer system (the one with Lisp and all of my basic development tools) back up and running. So, I''m going to start putting together a simple prototype using Lisp. The system initially will focus on specific knowledge in a narrow domain. Breadth and generality isn''t necessary, even for a final product.

Let me rephrase that: breadth is necessary, but within a specific domain. Breadth should be achieved by a mix of general plot type things, combined with genre specific plot type things. No attempt should be made to be totally comprehensive, but an attempt should be made to be as large as possible with regard to variety, both specific and general.

But first, I will only strive for a subset of the above, with the system designed to simply grow with new additions without any great programming complexity or revisions being necessary. The reason for this is the way I have opted for the organization of the knowledge. Of course, I haven''t implemented it yet, and that''s the reason for the prototype that I wish to create.

If you think this should prove to be too difficult, (and it stands a chance that it might be) then I think you''re thinking it is too much of a true AI, and not looking at it as you should be, which is a procedural generator using puzzle pieces to construct something where the puzzle pieces have certain fitting requirements.

If anyone wishes to work on this with me, let me know.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement