Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Transforming vertices different within the same triangle.

This topic is 5175 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello there I am currently trying to make a 3d model to move according to a bone structure. Each bone in the bone structure has its own matrix to represent its position and rotation. In my 3d model each vertex belongs to one bone. When I draw my model I use DrawPrimitiveUP(D3DPT_TRIANGLELIST...); When I do it like this it quite often is the case that the points in one triangle will belong to different bones and therefor different matrices. So I wonder if someone has some idea of how to draw a triangle with points that can be affected by different matrices. I guess that you could use ProcessVertices to process the vertices with different matrices and then just draw them but as I understood it, it is software based and therefor quite slow. There must some other way to do this with hardware support. By the way I use C++ and DirectX 9 /dogen

You can use zero-weight indexed vertex blending. Basically, you set a matrix palette (a large matrix table) using SetTransform( D3DTS_WORLDMATRIX( n ), &mat );
where n ranges from 0 - 255 with SWVP, and from 0 - Caps.MaxVertexBlendIndex on HWVP.

You''ll also need to add to your FVF: D3DFVF_XYZB1 | D3DFVF_LASTBETA_UBYTE4
which tell d3d that you have a blending weight in your vertex (b1), and that the last blending weight (and in our case, the only one) is going to be used as a matrix index.

With the FFP, the weight comes after the position, before the normal as far as I recall (you''d want to check the docs to make sure).

Muhammad Haggag
MHaggag''s corner