If you think you are a good designer then answer this.

Started by
43 comments, last by Warsong 20 years, 6 months ago
This is a good question, and as a good designer I have a very specific answer:

Practice being a good listener and a good arbitrator.

In your spare time, you can also work on your writing skills.

My experience in the 5 years I''ve been working as a designer is that it is these three skills which make a designer an essential member of a development team. Composing design specifications in a vacuum is something I do for a week or two each year, total. Listening, arbitrating, and communicating are the meat of my work.

--Mr. Strange
Advertisement
Hmm...

How about doing away with the walls and setting the game in a circle? (think something like Tempest)....The players paddles rotate around the edge while trying to keep the ball within the circle...both paddles can rotate around 360deg but are stoped when they contact the other paddle...when the ball bounces off a paddle it changes to that paddles color, and if it exits the circle the color indicates which player recieves a point...and if the ball bounces into the same paddle again (for example: green ball bounces off the green paddle again) then the ball speeds up slightly...

could even have a single player mode whith one paddle and the players trying to keep it within the circle for as long as possable...additional modes could include "walls" just beyond the edge of the circle that the ball could bounce off (maybe have the wall rotate clockwise...then switch to counterclockwise when a ball hits them)...and maybe a "elimination mode" where a same coloc ball hitting same colored paddle not only speeds up the ball but it knocks a hole into the paddle at the spot it bounced off of...

just my $.02
Powerups would make Pong better. Yeah I know you said no powerups, but you''re retarded, so it doesn''t count.
In the other thread "an exercise in game design" I was going to post some design with the restrictions there. So I did. Took too long. Had to many features, some of them could were just there so the player actually had to do something, to make it interactive. I had to cut things and add some to balance the things I cut. I finnally looked what I created. It was a bad design. I didn''t felt like fixing it any more. I didn''t even put it up tought I sayd I would. Well the point is, I had designed before but I wasn''t limited by anything. With an actual guide the whole thing changes. So If you want to practice design try using some tight restrictions, that''s what I''m going to do :D

Maybe some of the people who actually have had to design under restrictions that choke, would be kind enough to post the restrictions here to see what we the newbies can get out of that :D
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
This is a good question, and as a good designer I have a very specific answer:

Practice being a good listener and a good arbitrator.

In your spare time, you can also work on your writing skills.

My experience in the 5 years I''ve been working as a designer is that it is these three skills which make a designer an essential member of a development team. Composing design specifications in a vacuum is something I do for a week or two each year, total. Listening, arbitrating, and communicating are the meat of my work.

--Mr. Strange

More should listen but many don''t it seems.

MSW
That sounds interesting.

anonymous
If I said specials then it will never end. If you won''t try to create as much as you can with a little, then how can you make a lot more when can’t make even a little?
Whoever can come up with an idea with less is more capable of coming up with more ideas when they have more to work with.

cos
I guess they forget the restrictions they had so they don''t post.
***Power without perception is useless, which you have the power but can you perceive?"All behavior consists of opposites. Learn to see backward, inside out and upside down."-Lao Tzu,Tao Te Ching Fem Nuts Doom OCR TS Pix mc NRO . .

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement