Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My 2D Map Editor

This topic is 5178 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I created a map editor this morning (literally in about an hour and a half). Here's how it works: *It uses the tileset that I included (tile.bmp) at 160x64 *The screen format is 640x480 *Maximum rows = 15, columns = 20 *Tile size = 32x32 *It automatically loads the map.txt file everytime its used, and saves to this file automatically when its closed. If you want to edit a saved map, just rename it to map.txt . Sorry about its quality, but I wasn't really worried about anybody else using it. -------- CONTROLS -------- KEY | USE(s) b | Make a box, initial size of 4x3 l | Make a line, initial direction is down, length 4 s | Single, also returns size/length to 1 right | If dir = down, then it turns it to right | but if dir is already right, then return it to down left | same as right, but to the left of the mouse Up/down | Increase/decrease size/length of box/line NOTE: Box carries over. So if you are to close to the right, the rest of the box will be on the left, down 1 row F1 | Screenshot (saved in Graphics\Screenshots\) 0-9 | Choose tile (from tile.bmp. Numbered top row from 0 to 4, bottom row, 5 to 9) Looking for some CC here. Here's the address: www.rpgmp.com/Map Editor.zip. Thanks NOTE: I'm really sorry about the triple topic, my computer screwed up on me. [edited by - Programmer16 on October 12, 2003 4:10:20 AM]

Well it works well enough, but theres plenty to improve

- Making it a windowed app would be a good choice, I don''t like being forced to go fullscreen without being asked.
- Use some standard GUI toolkit (MFC or whatevers avalible) so you can get proper menus etc. Especially a load/save menu.
- Choosing a tile is just too tricky. Either add some sort of browser where you can pick from all the displayed ones, or at least show the current tile in the corner somewhere.
- Scrollable map would be nice

Yeah, I pretty much expect to get the same response from everybody. But its for my 2D rpg I'm making, so I just figured I'd throw something together so instead of typing up the array by hand, I can paint it and have the program save it for me. As for the GUI, I'll get that done after my game, but I don't use MFC so it'll take longer. And I can't figure out how to use the load/save dialogs so the best I can do is a dialog box you enter the filename. Sorry. I'm still working on adding scrollable maps to my game, so once I get that down I'll add it to the map editor . I also forgot to mention that you can click and drag to paint multiple tiles. I'll also put in a message box to ask if you want fullscreen or windowed. Thanks for your input. Forgot to tell everybody if they want the source code I can send it to you Just email me (Programmer16@msn.com) or post here.

One question about windowed mode. Would anybody mind if It was a popup (so there isn't a titlebar). Because I didn't really want to put alot of work into this, but if it has the frame and titlebar when you get closer to the bottom of the screen the mouse y value is off.

[edited by - Programmer16 on October 12, 2003 11:40:42 AM]

[edited by - Programmer16 on October 12, 2003 12:02:53 PM]