OpenGL or Direct X

Started by
24 comments, last by Mat1515 20 years, 6 months ago
Hey I have a good understanding of C++ and i want to move into game programming but I in a toss up of if If i should go with OPENGL or DIRECTX ?¿? Whats your is one easier to learn for a newb? If i learn one will i whave trouble learing the other and not get things confused thanks
Ut o not me again:) lol
Advertisement
The FAQ.
This is just what i think ...

i had the same problem a 6 months ago ... and now i can handle graphics routines for them both ... and i like them both ... however, i could recommend to start with DirectX, because it has much more functions build in ... in openGL (if your not using Glut), you have to code your own texture and mesh functions ... thats, of course is more interesting ...

T-
OMG Click me!!
Me too!

Really, it's just a matter of taste.

[edited by - TravelingCoder on October 12, 2003 10:32:47 AM]
And Dave did see the ad of penis enlargement, and gazing upon His holy manhood, He did thrust the spam into the firey depths of hell.- Book of Dave, 1:7
You should go with OpenGL because DirectX has to maintain sounds/music/network and graphics on the same chip so it is not as fast as OpenGL, witch can only be used for graphics. We have made bencmarks in our laboratory and OpenGL seems to be 160% faster than DirectX if you play sounds and use network at the same time when drawing things with D3D. So -> go with OpenGL.
AP: BS!
Here we go...

[edited by - TravelingCoder on October 12, 2003 10:39:38 AM]

[edited by - TravelingCoder on October 12, 2003 10:40:30 AM]
And Dave did see the ad of penis enlargement, and gazing upon His holy manhood, He did thrust the spam into the firey depths of hell.- Book of Dave, 1:7
Just follow the links given above and not anything else that comes from the replies. Cheers.
Why is this question asked at least once a month if not more?
quote:
Why is this question asked at least once a month if not more?

Because there are new members every month, people who do not see every post on the boards, and people who have not been at this sort of thing long enough to get the hang of looking in FAQs first.

Years ago I know I used to think of forums, news groups and mailing lists as a great place to ask my questions, and my questions were unique to me. How frustrated I was when I would I would get (sometimes) flamed for asking a question which had been asked 100s of times before and promptly told to read the FAQ/search the archives - then wonder to myself ''what''s this forum for then????''. Checking the FAQ is a learned skill.

Here at GameDev, the faq link is really small an hard to notice. For those who are not experience forum users, it''s not an obvious place to look for answers. Perhaps if there were a more blatant link, maybe a sticky link in each forum in big red letters ''Look For Answers Here First!!''.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement