Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dx9

This topic is 5181 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

im a newb to dx and just got the directx 9a SDK, going to try and learn some dx. do i have any use for the tutorials over at gametutorials, the early ones that handle directDraw, i heard its not included in dx9. im doing a simple 2d game to start off with, can anyone recommend a place to start? i guess i could get an earlier sdk or something but id rather not. thanks

direct draw is included in dx9 it just hasn''t had any new features added. its just there for backward compatibility.

your free to use it if you wish but if you just want to *start* in 2d then maybe jumping straight into direct3d might save you time in the long run.

I disagree graham. I think Bobo is doing a good thing by starting out with 2d. You lear so much about the makings of a game by just doing Pong, Pacman, Tetris, etc. Not to mention how DirectDraw DInput, DSouund works, that is also a big jump!

Start small, and add to. It is the best way to learn otherwise you end up not knowing or understanding what you are doing.

Directx is backward compatible, so even if you have DX9, you still can program in DX4. Good luck Bobo!

I wasn''t implying he jump straight into 3d graphics but you can use direct3d to draw 2d graphics like huds.
I just think it might be a good way to get combatable with direct3d if you wanted to use it in the future.
But if you feel confident with the tutorials you mentioned then follow that route by all means.
There is no right or wrong decision here either way you go DirectDraw or Direct3D they are both capable of doing 2d graphics so it doesn’t really matter. What matters the most is the content your game puts in.