Java 1.5 Game programming

Started by
54 comments, last by Iwod 19 years, 11 months ago
How do you launch this server VM?
Advertisement
-server
Two years ago I was a hard core C++ programmer and then a colleague of mine challenged me to try out Java. I was hooked. Java is a great language for productivity and I think you will find it is plenty fast enough.

To address a few prev. points:
-You can do great graphics in Java using JOGL. JOGL is easy to distribute using Web Start (All you do is link to the jnlp script on the jogl site in your own script. This script will auto download the right libs for mac, win, solaris, or linux).

-Although games are visual, that doesn''t make them "95% graphics", whatever that means. Just because you can''t see it doesn''t mean it isn''t important. If any game spends 95% of its efforts on graphics and 5% on networking, content, game balance, physics, ai, etc, etc, that game would suck more than a leech.

-There is a binding to a free physics library, called JODE, linked to from the javagaming site if you want a good physics library.

-Java is a great language, but not a perfect language. Nobody here is saying that. For example, my "perfect language" would have operator overloading. Still, I can deal with features I find to be imperfections.

-Java is free. For indie hobby programmers that is a VERY GOOD thing. You can download the SDK from Sun and an IDE from either Eclipse or Netbeans, and you are good to go.

-To say that Java is a dumbed-down language is just silly. If you think that, you should only write programs using the hardware''s assemby instructions. After all, any higher level language assumes some level of stupidity on the part of the programmer. Right?

-If you don''t like the Object model of Java, that is your prerogative. Most experienced programmers like OOP and find Java''s model very much.

What it really comes down to is this: "Choose the language that you like the best that does the job." Most people in this forum that have given Java a serious look recently have found it to do the job very well and we like it a lot. I can guarantee that if you are new programmer any reasonable project you select can be done in Java.
nony why rebuffing this thread with some common information. You forgot to add, that you can package server VM with your application, so you could be sure that server VM is present on target computer. (Originaly left out from download size reasons.) Then again october is october.
quote:Can you do 48 MILLION poly scenes in java?

You do whatever culling technique you want; just like every game since the origional Doom.

quote:yes, but today games are 95% graphics. Sadly, but this is the truth.

This statement betrays your deep ignorance. After you''ve programmed Tetris (in any lanuguage you choose), then you can speak intelligently. Until then you are merely a Troll.
From the Java gaming thingy springs:
JOGL, JOAL and JInput. (Graphics, audio and input)

The fullscreen API in 1.4 is dodgy as hell on anything bar Windows and JavaSound is deeply suss, but with the three above anything is possibe. Particularly given most GPUs have faster maths processors than the main CPU and we now have vertex programs, my last issue with Java has mysteriously buggered off.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement