Java 1.5 Game programming

Started by
54 comments, last by Iwod 19 years, 11 months ago
I am a non pro programmer compare to a lot of you in here. I do a bit of C / C++ / Java. And i am wondering what are your thoughts generaly on Java 1.5 with its new ablity and features. And its potential using it as game programming. ( i am not saying it currently can''t be done. it is just the fact that Sun doesn''t seems to care much about using java to program games )
Advertisement
Time for my Java advocacy

I''m not actually using Java for games atm, but I know others who are. The only thing 1.5 adds that is really needed (that I''ve seen so far) is access to a high res timer. Other than that, 1.4 is suitable for games right now without the parameterized types and whatever else is in the pipe for 1.5 (although I''m sure there will be even more improvements in the HotSpot compiler by then).

The thing that''s stopping me from going Java right now is distribution. I want to get shareware titles distributed on the net, and the currently there are issues with making sure the customer has the JRE. There are various solutions (including compiling to a native executable format, but that raises even more issues). Several folks are forging ahead already.

Check out:
YoHoHo! Puzzle Pirates (a really neat game!) - they have chosen to include the JRE in the client download.
Alien Flux - Puppy Games has experimented with different method of distribution for this game (native exe, WebStart)

Other games to check out through Google would be Wurm Online, Magicosm, and Tribal Trouble.

I think all of these games show that Java is viable for game dev, and 1.5 can only make it moreso. As far as Sun not caring, that''s not true anymore. They got on the ball a while back with the Java Gaming Initiative. As a result we today have javagaming.org, which has been folded into Sun''s new www.java.net site. There you''ll find 3 Open Source APIs designed for realtime multimedia(JOGL - OpenGL interface; JInput; JOAL - OpenAl interface), you''ll find forums for LWJGL (another OpenGL/OpenAL/system input interface - but specifically for games, with no dependencies on AWT/Swing - from Puppy Games) and Xith3D, a SceneGraph that can set on top of JOGL or LWJGL, designed to be a replacement for Sun''s Java3D.

If we can get the distribution issue solved, get the kinks worked out of OpenAL on Mac & Linux, and get that JRE installed on most of my target market''s machines (something that Sun is actually making headway with), then I''ll definitely make the switch (providing it all happens before D reaches maturity ).
quote:Original post by Iwod
I am a non pro programmer compare to a lot of you in here. I do a bit of C / C++ / Java.

And i am wondering what are your thoughts generaly on Java 1.5 with its new ablity and features.
And its potential using it as game programming. ( i am not saying it currently can''t be done. it is just the fact that Sun doesn''t seems to care much about using java to program games )

Java? ah ah ah! Nope. Do you want graphics in your game?
I''v heard that Sun is writing OpenGL support to Java. True?
Already exists in both LWJGL and Jogl, both of which work great and are very fast indeed
quote:Original post by OrangyTang
Already exists in both LWJGL and Jogl, both of which work great and are very fast indeed

This is relative... you can achieve with java NOW the some performance as in 1997... about 20 times slower.
Slower than in java in xxxx thats astonishing we have JIT now.
quote:Original post by Lorenzo
This is relative... you can achieve with java NOW the some performance as in 1997... about 20 times slower.

You never tried the direct3d-driver did you? In fact, you haven''t tried java at all, have you?
Lorenzo, wake up Go out and download some of the latest 3D Java games. The language has come a long way since 1997. It isn''t slow anymore and is more than suitable for games.
quote:Original post by Lorenzo

I''d recommend that you learn to respect others and their choices.

[Cyberdrek | the last true sorcerer | Spirit Mage - mutedfaith.com][ Administrator & WebMaster GuLSE]
[Cyberdrek | ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement