Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

po2

What Should I get?

Hello, I''m thinking about making a game and I really don''t know what I should get.I''m thinking about getting Maya 5 Complete or Maya Unlimeted.What else should I get? Any Help would be appreciated.

What do you already know?

RanBlade
"Passion is what drives you to stay up until 4am fixing that bug that hardly anyone would notice...Passion is where great games come from, if you dont live and breathe games you shouldn''t be in the games industry." - Dave Pottinger, Ensemble Studios

Guest Anonymous Poster
Do you even know how to use maya? If you''re struggling with the question of which version you should buy I question your ability to use to.

Do you know how to program?

If not, you don''t need Maya or anything like that yet. Make a simple game first. Creating a game that uses imported 3d models is such a big project that making the actual models isn''t your first priority. Do you know how to initialize a window? Do you know how to draw a polygon? Learning these things take time, and you are going to drown in trouble if you start from the top.

If you already know programming, and are in the phase where 3d modeling is required, I think the software is just a matter of taste. Some like 3d Studio Max, some Maya, some Milkshape.. Try them out, and see which suits your needs.

I don''t mean to disencourage you. It just is better to start from the basics. Learning them doesn''t take forever, and when you have mastered the power of "Hello World!", I wish you good luck with your grand 3d game .

I''ve never programmed a game before and I was thinking that maybe it would be better to start with a simple sidescroller or two.
But I see all those 3D games out there and I say to myself "I wish i could do that"
Also no I don''t know very much about game programming or stuff like that. Although I do know some C and C++ that about sums it up.
Could You tell me some places that I could get some easy C or C++ tutorials on game programming?
Thanks.

If you have your heart set on maya, then I suggest not wasting your money.

Clicky
Download Maya free personal edition. You are not allowed to do anything WITH those models, but you are allowed to make them.

~~~~~
"the best thing about betting on apathy is that even when you lose, you dont care." - nethead.
Download and play Slime King I.

I was thinking about downloading Maya PLE. And I don''t have my heart set on Maya, I''d just heard it was good. What should I get instead of Maya?

quote:
Original post by po2
I was thinking about downloading Maya PLE. And I don''t have my heart set on Maya, I''d just heard it was good. What should I get instead of Maya?

Um, Blender and Wings, which were suggested above work well. Of course Maya is good though, but it''s also $5000, whereas Blender, Wings, and the other items in my post are all free. BTW, you can''t make a game in Maya(or blender or wings) without learning to program and having a compiler and IDE(you don''t strictly need an IDE), both of which Dev-C++ supplies.

O.K. I''m Starting to think I''m over my head.
If you know of any could you post a link to a tutorial on making sidescrollers in C/C++.

quote:
Original post by po2
O.K. I''m Starting to think I''m over my head.
If you know of any could you post a link to a tutorial on making sidescrollers in C/C++.

How much C/C++ do you already know? If you want to make a sidescroller from nothing, I suggest you start with a good beginners book or tutorial(like this) before learning a graphical API to use with C/C++. Also, if you''re making a sidescroller why do you even want a 3D modeler?

I Was thinking about making a 3D game of some sort but now I''m thinking it would be better to start with a sidescroller.
Thanks for the Link.

quote:
BTW, you can''t make a game in Maya(or blender or wings) without learning to program and having a compiler and IDE(you don''t strictly need an IDE), both of which Dev-C++ supplies.

You actually CAN make a game with just BLENDER. It has it''s own game engine.

Guest Anonymous Poster
hi, first of all decide what language you want to use, c++ could be good, get a book on it, you will have to do console programs for a couple monthes (text only), after that you have to learn a graphics engine, there is direct x, openGL, allegro (good for 2d things), there are probably others as well. When I first started, I thought "oh I''ll learn c++ then I''ll be able to do some games", suddenly I realised I had to learn c++, then some Windows, and now direct x. Take your time with it to learn the different bits and how they go together.