What Should I get?

Started by
13 comments, last by po2 20 years, 6 months ago
Hello, I''m thinking about making a game and I really don''t know what I should get.I''m thinking about getting Maya 5 Complete or Maya Unlimeted.What else should I get? Any Help would be appreciated.
Advertisement
What do you already know?

RanBlade
"Passion is what drives you to stay up until 4am fixing that bug that hardly anyone would notice...Passion is where great games come from, if you dont live and breathe games you shouldn''t be in the games industry." - Dave Pottinger, Ensemble Studios

Eric Ranaldi a.k.a RanBlade

[size=1]"Passion is what drives you to stay up until 4am fixing that bug that hardly anyone would notice...

[size=1]Passion is where great games come from, if you dont live and breathe games you shouldn't be in the games industry."

[size=2]- Dave Pottinger, Ensemble Studios

[size=1][GameDev][C++ Page][Unity Game Engine][Panda3D Game Engine][NeHe Productions][Drunken Hyena][MSDN][Beej's Guide to Network Programming]

[size=1][FreedBSD][My Site][Gamasutra][Khan Acadamey]

Do you even know how to use maya? If you''re struggling with the question of which version you should buy I question your ability to use to.
Do you know how to program?

If not, you don''t need Maya or anything like that yet. Make a simple game first. Creating a game that uses imported 3d models is such a big project that making the actual models isn''t your first priority. Do you know how to initialize a window? Do you know how to draw a polygon? Learning these things take time, and you are going to drown in trouble if you start from the top.

If you already know programming, and are in the phase where 3d modeling is required, I think the software is just a matter of taste. Some like 3d Studio Max, some Maya, some Milkshape.. Try them out, and see which suits your needs.

I don''t mean to disencourage you. It just is better to start from the basics. Learning them doesn''t take forever, and when you have mastered the power of "Hello World!", I wish you good luck with your grand 3d game .
Maya is way to expensive for a beginner. Try Wings instead, and get Dev-C++ for your programming IDE. I''d also recommend that you download the GIMP for making textures, skins, and other 2D art.
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
I''ve never programmed a game before and I was thinking that maybe it would be better to start with a simple sidescroller or two.
But I see all those 3D games out there and I say to myself "I wish i could do that"
Also no I don''t know very much about game programming or stuff like that. Although I do know some C and C++ that about sums it up.
Could You tell me some places that I could get some easy C or C++ tutorials on game programming?
Thanks.
If you have your heart set on maya, then I suggest not wasting your money.

Clicky
Download Maya free personal edition. You are not allowed to do anything WITH those models, but you are allowed to make them.

~~~~~
"the best thing about betting on apathy is that even when you lose, you dont care." - nethead.
Download and play Slime King I.
~~~~~Screaming Statue Software. | OpenGL FontLibWhy does Data talk to the computer? Surely he's Wi-Fi enabled... - phaseburn
Or you could get Blender the interface isn''t very user friendly but it is free
The monkeys are listening...
I was thinking about downloading Maya PLE. And I don''t have my heart set on Maya, I''d just heard it was good. What should I get instead of Maya?
quote:Original post by po2
I was thinking about downloading Maya PLE. And I don''t have my heart set on Maya, I''d just heard it was good. What should I get instead of Maya?

Um, Blender and Wings, which were suggested above work well. Of course Maya is good though, but it''s also $5000, whereas Blender, Wings, and the other items in my post are all free. BTW, you can''t make a game in Maya(or blender or wings) without learning to program and having a compiler and IDE(you don''t strictly need an IDE), both of which Dev-C++ supplies.
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement