Python & wxWindows or Java & Swing

Started by
3 comments, last by template 20 years, 6 months ago
I''m making an application and I want it to run as fast as possible, I would like to use C++ and wxWindows but unfortunately I don''t have the time to learn it. I want to know which is faster, Python or Java.
Advertisement
*BUMP*
This question seems a bit off the mark to me. In terms of the speed of execution, Java will most likely be faster. With JIT compilers it rivals C++ in many cases. But Python might still be the better tool for the job. What sort of app are you making? Is it a game? A level editor? A modeller?

Swing is hardware accelerated where available (uses DDraw and/or D3D on Windows, and soon to use OpenGL on other OSes) and does not rely on the underlying OS''s GUI API. On the other hand, Swing apps have a notoriously slow start up time and can be memory hogs.

Maybe give a little more info on what you are trying to accomplish.
It''s a level editor for the game i''m working on. Similar to Q3Radiant but with less features.
Java + Swing + OpenGL works great for my project (2d game engine with built in editor). Runtime speed is not really likely to be an issue with this, although development speed might be.

Unless you''re much more experienced with Python, I''d suggest Java.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement