Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

andy_fish

mental effects of coding

andy_fish    122
Hey guys, After sitting at my desk programming for around 10 hours (with the occasional break), I get this dazed, out-of-it feeling, that I can''t seem to shake for a day or two. It feels like parts of my brain just went back to sleep. Does coding do this to anyone else out there, and more importantly, what do you guys do to fix it? I am thinking that lots of caffiene may be in order.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
day or two? That doesn''t sound right. Make sure you have good working environment. I;m a professional programmer and I occasionally get that feeling you describe after a particularly hard day. But that generally do not last more than a few hours after work. Instead of consuming caffeine, try taking a walk and get some fresh air. If that doesn;t help, go to a local bar and get drunk and put off programming for another day.

evolutional    1393
I''m thinking that more than the occasional break will be in order. Programming for 10 hours for many days running can eventually lead to burnout, Caffeine will not help, it''ll help your body wake up but your mind will eventually be in the rut.

Trust me, I''m there now.

Take a few days off.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by C-Junkie
Never experienced this.

Wow.. I wish I could be just like you.

jonnii    122
it''s very important to switch off.

if your thinking about your work before you go to bed you''ll be thinking about it while you sleep. sometimes im thinking through a problem just before i go to bed and i sleep really badely that night.

now, i read a book before i go to bed, or listen to some music. anything...

Palidine    1315
the best remedy by far is exercise. go out for a couple mile jog every day or every other day. a lot of that "daze" feeling is from just sitting at a desk all day long. your body isn''t made to sit still all day long, it starts to break pretty fast that way.

you might also want to switch from a crt monitor to an lcd. sometimes the daze feeling is just eyestrain. an lcd doesn''t have a refresh rate the same way that a crt does. the lack of a scan line makes your eyes really happy. switching to an lcd made my brain a lot better.

but exercise is the best cure.

-me

Naku    151
quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
I;m a professional programmer .... If that doesn;t help, go to a local bar and get drunk and put off programming for another day.

Yup, sounds right to me.

Typical day at the office
Mornings : Programming
Lunch : Drinking
Afternoon : Trying to program again.

UltimaX    468
10 hours and you feel like that? Wow! On my days off I get up at 9 and program until 2 AM in the morning, then I go to bed and get up at 9 and do it all over agian. I tried to cut back some though because my fiancé is getting pretty mad and pretty sick of it. (Damn habits) I never get that feeling anymore though, if I do I don''t notice it. Maybe your eyes and stuff just get tired after looking at the moniter for so long?

-UltimaX-

"You wished for a white christmas... Now go shovel your wishes!"

Raptor85    180
things that help:

high monitor refresh rates (helped me a lot, 60hz gave me headaches)
stress ball to flatten
drink water, (really, i used to drink a lot of dr. pepper while working, and i find now if i drink ice cold water i can stay alert and work longer without getting dazed.)
a fan. I have a high power fan that blows right where my chair is, and i keep my window open when i work at night, letting cool fresh air in.
a quick jog at night, or anything that lets me burn energy and take a break helps too.
Star Trek while working. But dont turn the tv on, run it through a sterio or something so you just get the sound, or you might be tempted to turn and watch. (insurrection came on while i was on the treadmill once, i didnt realize i was still running until it was over, turns out i somehow managed to run the whole movie at 8mph without noticing it :/ )

stop drinking coffee, i do still drink it sometimes, namely very very late when im driving home from school, but i''ve found that coffee will burn me out if i drink it too often.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
bah i program 50 hours a week for a living and some programming outside of work - you gotta exercise, at least lift weights.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
and dude, I doubt you ran the whole movmie at 8 mph..16 miles is something a track runner does - you''re a coder. if you''re running 16 miles, you''re a bad coder...

Raloth    379
I have this problem right now . I was on a streak for a few days. I got so many things added I can''t name them all right now... And now when I open up my project I stare at it blankly and everything is a blur.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
I''m usaly programming 16 hours a day. After doing this one week i assure you that many parts of the brain are gone to sleep.
This parts i''m not using when i''m programmnig, but i need them in real life.
After 2-3 weeks. I realy don''t like to program any more, i just want to do semething else ... and i take a 2-3 days break. (or more)

What you must do if you want to fix it is:
- take a 10-15 minutes every 3 houres
- after a day of programing do something diferent, something what isn''t realy using your brain in a logical mode (music, painting, plaing, drinking, sport)
- speak with peoples (not about programing) ... this will put your brain in a diferent state, and will reactivate it...
- go outside, breath fresh air, ....

Raptor85    180
quote:
and dude, I doubt you ran the whole movmie at 8 mph..16 miles is something a track runner does - you''re a coder. if you''re running 16 miles, you''re a bad coder...

lol, so track runners can only run 16 miles huh, oh please...
actually, since i''ve started exercising i''ve been much better, i''ve been able to stay more alert and work faster, not longer. I acutally was in track about 4 years ago, i utterly suck at it being outdoors in california desert wheather, but i did do it. I cant run at 16mph either, i''d say 10 is about my limit before it''s too fast for me to keep up. Exercise definitely helps with programming, odd as it may sound. 8mph also is less of a run, more of a decently fast jog. So yes, to all you coders out there, jog, it''s a good way to take a break.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Listen to your body, my friend. It''s definitely trying to tell you something you should hear...

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:

more likely a dead coder

GekkoCube    116
i dont get it.
are some of you suggesting that programmers can''t be athletic, and that if you are athletic then you are not a coder.?

i seriously hope i just misunderstodd.

falkone    444
I got that feeling in school last year... I was gone from like 6:30 in the morning till about 9 at night nearly every day... by summer, I was completely burned out... then I got a job.. and now that school''s starting again, i still haven''t recovered...