mental effects of coding

Started by
57 comments, last by andy_fish 20 years, 6 months ago
A good working environment is very important. You must be comfortable when programming, otherwise you will just get sick.

Some very important elements:

- Listening to music you like when coding will help you relax
- A comfortable chair helps avoiding back pain and the likes
- Having the monitor at the right height helps to avoid neck pain
- Having a large monitor makes you more comfortable
- A good keyboard, an optical mouse will avoid frustration

Looking for a serious game project?
www.xgameproject.com
Advertisement
I really dont have problems with coding.

I take breaks, and I do many different things.
So day 1, read, listen to music, play a game
day 2, read, play a game, go out
day 3 read, program for a few hours, watch tv
day 4 read, play a game, visit family.

This is after work btw. I will also start to work out because it really does help. Makes you think clearer and work faster.
I dont program all day anymore, few hours at a time and I dont get burnt out.

Also I am very athletic, I ran track in high school and I am considering running for a community college just to train up. Its a good reason for me to work out too.
Interested in being apart of a team of people that are developing a toolkit that can help anyone product an online game? Then click here http://tangle.thomson.id.au/
quote:
is this just stuff you think, or does this come from some kind of survey/research/whathaveyou?

because i have most of those issues... and programmings to blame... guess my parents were right afterall...

Yes i read this in a survey of some sort when I was sitting in the waiting room at my psychologist.

The best way of fighting against this is by doing alot of training like running as mentioned and meet real people in real life. Another note is that this is very easier to get trouble of if you''re young around 14-20, as this is a very important time of your life where you get a "static" image of how the world works and how you work and who you are etc...
quote:
Looking back on the previous replies, I saw no mention of PROTEIN. Protein fills your belly because it takes some time to digest. This is good. Carbohydrates give energy, but not enough in my experience. Find your balance between the two.

Protein doesn't give any energy at all, it takes. Your cells have to convert protein into glucose to use it when _energy_ for work is needed. the conversion takes energy away.
Taking time to digest is also anything else than good.
You feel not "hungry", that's all.
What common nutritional "experts" don't take into account are some basical physical laws. Digestion needs energy. Harder-to-digest things need more energy.
Simple carbonhydrates like those from fruit get stored for a while, you don't need to have something digesting all the time to constantly get energy, you get it from buffers.
Most of todays human beings are all greatly over-fed, most people think they are hungry and need food, when they feel their stomach is empty. (I'm not just speaking of "fat" people)
But your stomach being empty has nothing to do with need for more energy or something, it's ridiculous to think your body needs again food just because the stomach has gotten empty. But because most people are used to the feeling of totally overused intestines, they think they're hungry when their guts suddenly feel FREE.

I de-trained this bad habit and eliminated hardly digestible food combinations entirely from my diet (which is necessary to succeed.)
I no more connect an empty stomach with need for food, it's just a normal feeling for me. I can't describe it very well, but what I think real hungryness is, is a feeling similar to thirst. Your brain tells you, not your stomach.

The REAL feel of need for food is said to be directly connected to the "sugar level" in your blood. That sounds much more logical to me than "the food-to-energy-converter is empty, so I need again food". That's like saying "ah, the watering can is empty, so I need to refill it and continue watering the flower".
Try that and the flower will die soon.
(the problem with processed sugar from candy is that your body doesn't convert it to energy but rather builds fat cells from it. so you get even more hungry and eat more candy, and it gets even worse... that's how you get fat. eat fruit, this will do you good)

With my new diet, I feel alive as I NEVER felt before, I am pure energy in person. Plus I don't get ill anymore.
Those "normal" nutritional "experts" seem to not know shit.
My information on this kind of stuff I obtained from "natural hygiene" influenced books, these people seem to be absolutely right, except the V-B12 thingy... as some may have heard.

By the way, since I do kung-fu for a while, I have gotten stronger, especially my forearms, by whirling around with those wooden sticks, I suppose.
My protein intake as so low, from what is commonly believed my body should not be able to build muscle. But it does. Seems as we don't need even close to as much protein as it's said we need.
Higher protein intake means higher calcium loss means crappier bones. That's just one reason why drinking animal milk for bone health is plain bullsh*t, by the way. (the osteoroposis rates of USA compared to those of china, where is drunken almost no milk, prove that. usa, the land of osteoroposis.)

The best way to have lots of energy is having a good diet, not a lousy one.
A good start to improve one's diet can be reading the book "fit for life" by harvey and marilyn diamond.
(but, as I said, about B12 they erred, as tests prove. if anyone checks out the book and tries, be sure to have a certain b12 source)

"Breathe" SUNLIGHT, several hours a day if you can. Man do I eat "lifeforce" when being outside in the sun. As a former night coder, I avoided exposure to sunlight whenever I could. That was a mistake. I looked like an undead sometimes, reinforced by the lack of sleep.
I just take myself the time and try to get 10 hours for sleep, and never less than 8, unless I just wake up earlier and am not tired then.

Yeah, I forgot to mention sports. Very very important, not only for maintaining the health of your BONES, it also makes you feel greatly alive.
One of the greatest things for body fitness is martial arts.

I don't have to tell anyone that smoking is counterproductive in any possible ways...
Most smokers have a f....d up immune system and are in weak condition. Consuming alcohol is also not exactly the best thing to prevent illness.
And ill means weak, and weak means you code bad! *g*
A weak body also affects the mind, in a negative way.
If you feel like crap, you can't concentrate as good as if you're full of energy and feel like you could tear trees with just your hands.
And I know what I'm talking about.

healthy lifes wishes you
the unshaven bastard

[edited by - unshavenbastard on October 14, 2003 3:41:41 PM]
I once listened a talk on radio about depression and a doctor said something about computers. He noticed that among his patients who suffered from depression, there was a non negligible amount of people who worked with computers many hours a day.

Robbo > not sure, but you could have passed through some kind of minor depression ? this could explain your sudden lack of interest in something that you were normally interested in

Googled a bit and found a study summary about this :

http://www.rense.com/general33/much.htm
Want to feel alive and energetic when coding at any time during the day or night, no matter what condition you''re in?

Listen to Buckethead music.
I definitly get the dazed/out of it feeling. Plus programming in my sleep; its weird. When I spend the entire weekend alone it really gets to me. I have alot of trouble making friends anyway.

Although I work with programmers, its a business / vis basic shop and they all suck at programming. I am by far the most elite person there; and thats not saying much! So my problem is the only place I can relate to people about game dev and programming in general is online. Which doesn''t help my social situation at all.

I need to develope other interest I think.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
I definitly get the dazed/out of it feeling. Plus programming in my sleep; its weird. When I spend the entire weekend alone it really gets to me. I have alot of trouble making friends anyway.

Although I work with programmers, its a business / vis basic shop and they all suck at programming. I am by far the most elite person there; and thats not saying much! So my problem is the only place I can relate to people about game dev and programming in general is online. Which doesn''t help my social situation at all.

I need to develope other interest I think.

yes, learn surfing, play a sport, like me and some mates play soccer every now and then, but i dont like soccer( i like footy soccers for wimps ) but i like being competitive,

go get drunk with ppl watever(out of my friends the ones who get drunk often, i rather them ), spending time on the computer does cut into your social life
Yeah after a while i prog in a bit of a daze...

just get away for a while and excercise

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement