mental effects of coding

Started by
57 comments, last by andy_fish 20 years, 6 months ago
Hey guys, After sitting at my desk programming for around 10 hours (with the occasional break), I get this dazed, out-of-it feeling, that I can''t seem to shake for a day or two. It feels like parts of my brain just went back to sleep. Does coding do this to anyone else out there, and more importantly, what do you guys do to fix it? I am thinking that lots of caffiene may be in order.
Advertisement
day or two? That doesn''t sound right. Make sure you have good working environment. I;m a professional programmer and I occasionally get that feeling you describe after a particularly hard day. But that generally do not last more than a few hours after work. Instead of consuming caffeine, try taking a walk and get some fresh air. If that doesn;t help, go to a local bar and get drunk and put off programming for another day.
I''m thinking that more than the occasional break will be in order. Programming for 10 hours for many days running can eventually lead to burnout, Caffeine will not help, it''ll help your body wake up but your mind will eventually be in the rut.

Trust me, I''m there now.

Take a few days off.
Take your vitamins every day! (seriously) It might help- coding for many hours can wear you out a bit so it helps to be in good health...
Yeah, I''m in the state as downgraded. It really sucks. Get away more often, while you still can.

[twitter]warrenm[/twitter]

i think that the brain goes in saturation just like a pnp or npn bjt transistor , stop , and rest
Never experienced this.
quote:Original post by C-Junkie
Never experienced this.

Wow.. I wish I could be just like you.
it''s very important to switch off.

if your thinking about your work before you go to bed you''ll be thinking about it while you sleep. sometimes im thinking through a problem just before i go to bed and i sleep really badely that night.

now, i read a book before i go to bed, or listen to some music. anything...
-jonnii=========jon@voodooextreme.comwww.voodooextreme.com
the best remedy by far is exercise. go out for a couple mile jog every day or every other day. a lot of that "daze" feeling is from just sitting at a desk all day long. your body isn''t made to sit still all day long, it starts to break pretty fast that way.

you might also want to switch from a crt monitor to an lcd. sometimes the daze feeling is just eyestrain. an lcd doesn''t have a refresh rate the same way that a crt does. the lack of a scan line makes your eyes really happy. switching to an lcd made my brain a lot better.

but exercise is the best cure.

-me

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement