SDL and C++

Started by
4 comments, last by vaneger 20 years, 6 months ago
can i use the SDL library and MSVC 6.0 to make a game or do i need to use openGL and directX? Also if i can, will i be able to make things that look as good as your directX or OPGL stuff? eventually i plan on learning directx and open gl any way but SDL seems easier so im starting with that. good idea or no?
Advertisement
YES. Try here.

http://cone3d.gamedev.net/cgi-bin/index.pl?page=tutorials/gfxsdl/index
SDL is really a pretty versatile library. It allows you to manage the graphics, input management, threading etc.

You can do two things with SDL as such. SDL comes with a 2D (aka directdraw) sprite drawing library. You can use it to make 2D applications which probably isn''t a bad starting point.

What I personally use SDL for is to use it in conjuction with OpenGL. SDL handles all the threading, input management, window creation details for me while OpenGL is responcible for the actual graphics. SDL is a fairly popular way of doing this, since compared to other windows creation techniques it''s multiplatform but still has a win32 like feel.
thanks ap but i have been using that link and site the whole time i was mostly wondering what people here thought of SDL and if it had any missing pieces that would require me to use GL or DX.
deep: i have my own thread class wrapper, but what are the thread functions avalible for SDL?
are there any parts of SDL that need to be coded to be faster or should all of it be fast enough for games?
Seeing as SDL only does 2d (in 3d, it only becomes a window portal for OpenGL) it is plenty fast for any needs.

EDIT:
I would suggest taking a look at Kyra. The best homepage for it is here.

daveandrews.org, soon to be home to a GAPI Sprite Engine.

[edited by - Ronin Magus on October 12, 2003 9:39:01 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement