Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cutthepeace

[java] how powerful is java?

I was wondering about how powerful Java is. I know Runescape was made with it and they''re about to start beta testing on a new engine--the graphics look a whole lot better. But the point of my post is: is it possible to create a game in Java running in an applet but be as complex as Ragnarok Online? Peace, Cutthepeace

I''m inclined to say that it would be impossible to create a game on the level of complexity of Ragnarok in Java, but it''s just unproven. Unless Java has added more sophosticated threading and socket capabilities in recent years, it would very difficult to create a commerical capacity MMORPG server with it. The trouble with advanced threading and sockets is that the code tends to be platform specific. If you use an external library, such as ACE - which does have a partial Java port, - then it could be feasible.

Something on a smaller scale is certainly possible (maybe a hundred users instead of thousands).

Thank you for your input, but about the number of people per server, what would be an acceptable amount of people per server. More inforomation on the game I am thinking of creating, the map size is about a quarter to at most half the size of Ragnarok''s world map and at most 5 of those maps (the dimensions of the universe in the game). Also, each group of 4-5 servers being its own "universe." (Same maps though).

I know if my game sounds a little to complicated for me, but I actually enjoy a challenge.

A bit off the topic...does anyone know how to connect all the servers to one computer for easier updating. (If its possible).

Peace,
Cutthepeace

Zona offers a complete server-side MMORPG-solution in Java. I don't think Java will limit you on the server side, at least not with functionality of the NIO packages that were added in JDK1.4 (the same packages are also key to fast graphics on Java).

[edited by - HenryAPe on October 13, 2003 6:51:03 AM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
the new nio has very powerful asynchronous(!) networking, no problem to serve thousands of players here (you would only need a couple of threads).

jogl ogengl bindings are pretty good already too and the new xith3d scengraph matures pretty quickly.

magicosm.net is a niec example for a java mmporg (but still pre beta)

-smoke

Hey thanks for the info...especially the link to the java MMORPG.

Even if the game is in pre-beta, seeing it shows a lot on how powerful Java is. Its something I didn''t expect to see.

I feel as if a blockade in my mind has been destroyed.

Peace,
Cutthepeace

There''s also

http://www.wurmonline.com/

And there''s a few others out there that are quite impressive, but I (stupidly) never bookmarked them and have failed to find them again.