Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

moonshot

Please direct a newbie

Okay, so I want to learn DirectX. I know there are many many tutorials on DirectX. I am at the point where I can get it initialized and close it down properly. I've read the article with textured quads, which got some bad reviews. I've seen articles on sprite interfaces in directx, which are said to contain bugs. I'd do a better search, except I'm not sure what to search on. Here's what I want to do. I was thinking I'd write sort of a classic arcade style game, sorta like galaga. I want to have three different level types, water, land, and air. In each, you'd control a different type of vechile, boat, tank, or jet. Enemies would be both stationary and moving. So, my first question is, is this too ambitious for my first graphical game? I've written a few non-graphical games, but nothing too complex. If you think it's too ambitious, I'd probably do a classic tetris or breakthough game like most people seem to start with. My second question is, what do I need to learn to do this as far as directx goes. Do I need to use textured quads, sprites, etc? I'd probably not use 3d, although I'd think tetris would be easy for 3d because it's just 3d boxes. I need to know which articles to read and search for. Remember, performace probably isn't a big factor. I'd like to learn how to do it correctly, but not get swamped with too much new information that I'll get too overwelmed. Thanks much. EDIT: I'm using DirectX 9 and don't really want to learn DirectDraw. I'd rather learn what's current. [edited by - moonshot on October 12, 2003 9:07:40 PM]

Galaga sounds good. I think you''re smart to go with 2d- trying to make 3d as your first graphical game, with a new API, may be a bit overwhelming.

Also using textured quads instead of ID3DXSprite is also probably a good idea. Firstly it''s a bit more flexible and potentially less buggy and also you will get some exposure to 3d concepts.

Raj

Can''t find a good textured quad tutorials besides the "2D in Direct3D using textured quads" tutorial on here. I read the thread on that tutorial and a lot of people said it had bad practices in it, so was hoping for a different one. Anyone have a good links or sites? Google didn''t help me much.

I think you should just use that article. Most of the complaints people had were that it was not written with performance in mind. But... duh! It''s a beginner''s article.

*shrug* This is just your first 2d game here. You''re not going to be using this same code 5 years from now when you''re working at id writing Quake 7. Optimizing your renderer is a Good Thing (tm) but for your purposes it really would have zero impact on the game.. You might as well finish the game sooner, or spend that time tweaking your game to be fun.

Raj

Hi need some help getting DirectX to work on my computer. I downloaded the SDK9 from Microsoft. But I can''t find or use the regular DirectX programs like DirectDraw and Direct3d and so on.
Please Help, explain every step if you can. I''m an absolute noob.