Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saurabh Torne

Digitizing hand written DesignDoc.

Saurabh Torne    220
Which is the best program advised to create a digital version of my DesignDoc. I have a huge game DesignDoc which is handwritten and is 50 percent complete. The features I wanna add to my digital DD are: Appendix A,B.. Glossary .... Index.. Search capablity. Hyperlinks through doc.. and easy modification. Later I want to divide the topics on designers side ,programmers sides... and create seperate versions. All I want is it should have a lot of ease for the reader and easy reference whenever needed. Which program is advisable.Is MS Word good enough?Microsoft help workshop? etc.. Many Thankyou in advanced.

juuso    289
I''d go for html. Get a simple editor for it, to make hyperlinks and such easy.

Html is lightweight, and very portable, and putting it online will not require another conversion.

Saurabh Torne    220
yes Html is a good idea but I dont think anyone will publish a DD on the web when not more that a handfull of trusted people will view it.I would rather give it zipped.
any sugestions please.

TechnoGoth    2937
Just out of curiosty does anyone know a good program to digitize hand written documents? I mean I have my hand written notes and I want to scan them and convert them to a text document without rewitting them.

-----------------------------------------------------
Writer, Programer, Cook, I''m a Jack of all Trades
Current Design project
Chaos Factor Design Document

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Unless you have access to a scanner capable of perfect OCR (optical character recognition) or software that can do it without errors, you will either have to transcribe it all or thoroughly weed through the whole document and fix errors by hand.

Saurabh Torne    220
I have scanner and OCR program but still I will "thoroughly weed through the whole document and fix errors by hand" because my handwriting is difficult for people to understand ; we are talking about a machine here
So this will infact gonna give me the previlage to type in my DD with love! and enjoy every further the development process.

Syphoon    122
LaTeX is a good option. Multiplatform, Free, automatically generates links and tables of contents, and can make pretty spiffy PDFs. You see a lot of university papers written with it.

joanusdmentia    1060
If you have a Linux distribution then odds are you already have a copy of LaTeX floating around. If you''re under Windows, search for MiKTeX and WinEdt. LaTeX is kind of a document programming language that can be compiled into several different formats such as HTML, PDF, DVI, PS and no doubt many others. MiKTeX is basically LaTeX for windows and WinEdt is a handy editor that helps ease creating LaTeX documents.