Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nikoladsp

save game editors

hi, can anyone tell me how to create save game editors for diablo2 & cm4?i am totaly new in game development,and i use MS VC++ compiler.is there any tutorial on this subject? thanks.

You need to figure out the format of the save files somehow, then just modify the data when you know where the variables you want to change are stored.

-Nik

You''re best bet is to use a technique called diffing. Basically fire up the game and then try to change as little as possible and then save under a different name. You can then compare the two files and see which areas have changed and that should help give you a vague idea of which bits you need to change. So for example, spend some money and then check to see which bits of the file have changed. One of those bits will correspond to your amount of spondulis.

You''ll need some kind of diffing program (WinDif came with VC5) and a hex editor (google it - there are a shit-tonne of free ones around). If the file is encrypted or compressed then this approach won''t work, BTW.

Pike65 - Helping kids hack savegames since 1999