Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KuroKage

How important are grades in getting into the industry?

KuroKage    103
Hi, First, I really would like to apologize for making this post so long and I hope that you''ll bear with me in this. Thanks. I asked is this question cause it''s really bothering me. I''m already graduating college next year and I just started studying game development last May 2003. Now this''s what really hurt. As I was starting to seriously get into the requisites of game development, I noticed that every bit of subject that I had taken in my entire Computer Science class were all relevant to game development (especially maths), but my problem is, my grades aren''t really that impressive. To be honest, my only impressive grades were that of my programming classes starting from Program Logic Formulation, Algorithms, PASCAL, Visual Basic, and C (we didn''t have C++, I studied that through books). My Math grades are just average and other minor subjects were like crap. As for myself, I don''t consider myself intelligent(It even took me three and a half months just to finish Tricks 1 by Lamothe when someone else can do it for about a week! UNBELIEVABLE!!) and I don''t have talent either, but what I do have is perseverance. What I really like, I would surely do even if it''ll take some time(just like in Tricks). And I''m not boastful either. I really want people teaching me and I don''t consider myself better than them. In short, I always have the desire to learn. Since I can''t turn back time to improve all my sucking grades, what will then make me one of those people listed in the game''s credits. Will a good demo of games compensate for all my non-impressive grades? I hope you guys will really help me with this. Again, Sorry for the very long post and THANKS A LOT IN ADVANCE.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster

wild_pointer is exactly right. A resume should have your graduation date, be very few I have seen contain any kind of grade information.

2 1/2 months on the first tricks books isn''t too bad either. There is a lot in it and if you spent the time really learning it all then you the time you spent was well worth it. I would guess anyone going through the book in a week either already know most of the material covered in it, or did gain as much as possible from reading it.

Perseverance is what counts most. You need to show you have drive. Get a demo together and finish it. Put a little polish on it and you will do just fine.

Robbo    122

I disagree, if by "grades" you mean 2:1, 2:2, 1st. In the latter case, although not the be-all, it does make a difference as a graduate. Certain companies like to pick the "top" grads and then of course grades are very important. Often you see ads for "2:1 or better" - which seems to imply to me that employers do use it as a measure of ability.

The longer you are working though, the more your experience will count and the less your academic record. I guess after about 2 years in the business, your degree class or grades will count for very little.

try_catch_this    373
I hear some jobs don’t even pay you for pass degrees. You need honors to be recognized. But this is not the majority.

[edited by - try_catch_this on October 13, 2003 3:52:38 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
As for the time people spend reading books.. the people who fly through 2000 page books in a couple of days generally dont stop to make sure they understand all the material and generally forget everything after a week.

My advice is read and understand, if you dont understand it, dont bother reading it. However long it takes.