DX Books are confusing?

Started by
2 comments, last by ThomasSauder 20 years, 6 months ago
Ok, after trying to find out why I could never understand Game Programming all in One, of Programming Role Playing Game with Direct X, i figured it out. In all the chapters, they don''t tell you where to put the code! Right from the beginning, it teaches you how to make a ready DirectX window, after that, it just throws sniplets of code at you, saying how this and that works. My main problem is that I have NO clue of where to put them! Now that I finally figured it out, help would be appreciated!!!
Advertisement
Well? Sorry for the pestering, but I''d really like to understand this so I can move onto Direct X :D (Just going to go through that one book, then I''m going to move onto OpenGL)
quote:Original post by ThomasSauder
Now that I finally figured it out, help would be appreciated!!!

sorry, but you didn''t post a question, and by this last sentence you seem to have worked out your issue.

i recommend that you try to learn OpenGL instead (or first, rather). as you will find out if you read the OGL/DX flamewars that spring up here periodically, they both have the same capabilities, and both work with the same 3D graphics stuff. but, many people (including myself) find OpenGL much easier to start with, because it is more straightforward (no COM stuff and weird interfaces and whatnot). once you understand the whole "rendering 3D crap" thing, moving over to DX will be easier.

but that is just my (sleep deprived) opinion.
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
That''s what I had planned from the beginning. Well, ok.I''m going to keep my DirectX books for later use. I''ll pick up C++ Primer.. not Primer Plus, read through that, then I think I''ll have good enough background in C++ to jump into OpenGL. SuperBible -> OpenGL Game Programming -> RedBook.

Thanks for the response

Cheers.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement