Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rob Loach

Asteroids Clone Ideas

I''m in the progress of making an Asteroids clone and was wondering if anyone has any ideas of what I should add in? Here are some ideas I''ve had so far: - Multiple weapons (different kinds as well) - Mines - Shop after every level - Power-ups hidden in asteroids - Cash instead of points - Ship upgrades purchased at the shop - Sheilds - Alien/Enemy ships - Multiplayer (Co-op/FFA) [Later on]
Rob Loach Current Project: Go Through Object-Oriented Programming in C++ by Robert Lafore "The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - The Boondock Saints

What about asteroids with resources you can mine. To do so you have to match the velocity, land, extract, and take off before you are hit by another asteroid. You probably want to clear the level of any non-resource rocks 1st.

Sometimes when you hit an icy asteroid, instead of destroying it a geyser opens that thrusts the asteroid around space with possible rotations and stuff.

I''m (kind of) making one as well but the focus is multiplayer (same computer) Anyway...

I like the idea of multiple ships, with different, unique weapons. There was this cool Mac game called Asterix and I think you could actually "invest" money you earned on the maps in hopes that you might get a return. That was kind of cool.

I think you kind of have all the bases covered though. I would also put alien bosses in there somewhere perhaps. If you want to throw in some RPG elements, have some pilots that you can train over time that increse the manueverability, weapon damage output, etc... of the ship. Each pilot could have a specialty. Try and come up with some unique weapons. Some I''m considering (but might not be feasible) would be things like gravity wells or tractor beams, that pull the enemy closer. I liked the mineral extraction idea too; perhaps you could have a mining beam ala Colony Wars to suck additional cash out of an asteroid. Capital ships would also be a blast, but I don''t know what the implementation would look like. Perhaps two or more people could control one ship?

quote:
Original post by 5010
What about asteroids with resources you can mine. To do so you have to match the velocity, land, extract, and take off before you are hit by another asteroid. You probably want to clear the level of any non-resource rocks 1st.

Bad idea. Asteroids is an arcade game, you don''t have time to land on an asteroid. Doing so would slow the game right down and ruin the pacing.

quote:
Sometimes when you hit an icy asteroid, instead of destroying it a geyser opens that thrusts the asteroid around space with possible rotations and stuff.

But this is a good idea. It fits with the style of the game and it also fits with the fact that the game takes place in space.

Dan Marchant
Obscure Productions
Game Development & Design consultant

how about a sort of ''tractor beam'' where you can grab an asteroids then use it to destroy the other asteroids around you, but only for a limited time of course.

a shield power-up. to protect you from the asteroids of course, and the enemies!

Well, that would work if the astroids you captured were smaller than your ship.

How about having it so that your ship grows in size as you get more power ups. Now if you get hit, you loose your power up, but the point is that the bigger your upgrades are, the more easy it is to get hit. It would be a little like Galaga

[edited by - smiley4 on October 17, 2003 11:13:35 AM]

For multiplayer, the old game "eliminator" had a cool feature in that missiles wouldn''t destroy enemy player ships. Instead they pushed the ships. So you would try to line up the shot and push them into an asteroid.

quote:
Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
how about a sort of ''tractor beam'' where you can grab an asteroids then use it to destroy the other asteroids around you, but only for a limited time of course.

a shield power-up. to protect you from the asteroids of course, and the enemies!
That''s a cool idea. Perhaps you could have tractor beam energy (or more generically, weapon energy) and you could grab an asteroid and swing it like a whip. When you ran out of energy, the asteroid would fly back out into space at a high velocity.

Here are some “suggestions”
Reverse thrusters
Auto/manual attack rapid
Invisible so the enemy won’t see you
Ramming ability
Repel beam so that the asteroids ram onto each other
Space land minds
Explode shots
Double shots

You can but an extra show you shoot in the shop and you start off with one shot per screen.
Since you have enemy ships I was thinking that you can take over their ship and move around like a flying saucer, or get its ability to fly like it.
Or you can search in gamedev for 2d games and get some ideas from them which I posted one.

how about color??

the ship may have to fire a color of the same asteroid to destroy him while other color has different effect

or asteroid can be destroy only by collision of two asteroid of the same color, the ship has to capture a asteroid and then lauch it to another, the xplosion radius could create a chain by exploding all near asteroid of the same color, when the asteroid is throw on one which as not the same color they bounce, then the player can do handy move to create high combo cahin (like bounce the red one on a red group while the green bounce ont a groupe of green of course) explosion radius could be related to the velocity of the asteroid while colliding and the explosion radius should decrease from each asteroid in the chain caught by a side explosion, the higher is the velocity the deeper you could affect a group, and to get the same idea from above (with the fire color) asteroid of different color does not produce the same effect while collide (effect which also related to velocity of impact) and the there could not only color but mass and type of asteroid (rock, icy, smooth etc...) in many shape
the field would be full of object, like some from flipper game, magnetic area, black hole, alien which could affect trajectory of asteroids and let the player have a deeper strategy from move
like in pool game, there could some item that the player could try to get by bouncing them with asteroid in oder to make them enter his zone of influance,

maybe asteroid of the same color did not explode but would melt (with enough velocity) while the opposit color will destroy them

there could have mny type of mssion, protect a convoy, protect a position, create a path, build a wall, etc..

i choose some idea from color concept but i have so many idea and with other concept too ,i can easily put them all together
but at this rate i should go for my own game
right??

add from those of the previous topic they could fit together

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
be good
be evil
but do it WELL
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

How about something really simply: Give asteroids proper physics. By this I mean make them bounce away (with proper spin and velocity) when they collide. Also, give each asteroid some amount of ''health'', and each time two asteroids collide they lose some health (how much depending on the speed of impact and the size of the two asteroids, bigger ones lose less health when hit by smaller ones and smaller ones lose more health when hit by larger ones). When the health is 0, it blows up as if it were shot (as long as it is a large enough size to split - it won''t just dissapear if its the smallest size).

never forget about gameplay, ask yourself how an idea impact the play style and the gameplay, it''s not about endless possibility but fun gameplay

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
be good
be evil
but do it WELL
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>