How many books on Game Programming have you bought this year?

Started by
15 comments, last by rendertarget1 20 years, 6 months ago
How many books on Game Programming have you bought this year? and what do you think a rough figure of cash youv''e spent on them is likely to be? This is since January 2003: (1):Tricks of the windows game programming Gurus second edition. (2):Game Scripting Mastery. (3):Open GL Game Programming. (4):Advanced 3D Game Programming with DX8. (5)rogramming Role-Playing Games with DirectX. (6):Realtime-Rendering Tricks and Techniques in DX. (7):DirectX9 Programmable Pipeline. (8):Game Programming Gems 1. (9):Advanced Animation with DX. (10):2D Artwork and 3D Modelling for Game Artists. (11):Animating Real-Time Game Characters. (12):Modelling a character in 3DSMax. (13):c++ for game programmers. (14)rogramming Windows with MFC (second edition). (15):Introduction to MFC Programming with Visual c++. (16):Focus on 3D Models. (17):Data Structures for Game Programmers. (18):Game Coding Complete. wouldn''t know how much this ammount totals up though. quite a lot i would think Enough for quite a few good nights on the town
þ ²þ Üþ ßß þÜ Üß ßþ Üþ ß °° °Üþ °°° ° ßÜ þ [ KNOWLEDGE IS POWER] ° Ü þß °° ° Ü °° ° ²ÜÜÜÜÛÛÜÜܲÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÛÛÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÛÜÜ Ü² °
Advertisement
Ive been programming than less than a year. Since Dec last year.
The books I have bought are OpenGL game programming- Decent book,C++ The complete reference-Excellent book every C++ programmer should have a copy. physics for game developers- waste of money. Game coding complete- seems ok havent finished it yet. I started learning game programming from windows game programming for dummies leant from the library.
none. reading off of paper hurts my eyes.
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
Someone actually buys computer books? What''s the point when everything (and a whole lot more) you need is right here on gamedev? (seriously)
Zorx (a Puzzle Bobble clone)Discontinuity (an animation system for POV-Ray)
None. I''ve bought programming books, not game programming books.

e.g. "Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment"

[ Start Here ! | How To Ask Smart Questions | Recommended C++ Books | C++ FAQ Lite | Function Ptrs | CppTips Archive ]
[ Header Files | File Format Docs | LNK2001 | C++ STL Doc | STLPort | Free C++ IDE | Boost C++ Lib | MSVC6 Lib Fixes ]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Sadly none, although the thought of me staying up in the middle of the night reading a Game Programming/Theory book by flashlight entices me.
I was really looking forward for Tricks of the windows game programming gurus Volume 2 (seriously, if you do a back check in my profile you will find a bunch of "dammit! the book has been delayed again!" threads) but then, when it was finally out this year, I had no money and was looking for a job, so I didnt buy it, now, from what I read about it, doesn''t sound exactly as what I thought it was going to be.

Anyway, in the last year? probably just "Focus On 2D in Direct3D" by gamedev''s TAANSTAFL, in fact I just bought it because I LOVED Isometric Game Programming.

I did buy some 3d Game Modeling and some "how to draw comics" books to see if I can improve my game art, does that count?

Thinking of buying Jim''s Programming Role Playing Games with DirectX 8.0, but I am a SDL-OGL kind of guy and its $60

By the way, we really need some more OGL-SDL books out there, I am looking at you Prima Tech!

Proud aedGUI developer.
Probably about 15-20 or so... I''m not going to even try to calculate the costs on that. =^0 I wish libraries had some decent game coding books but if they do have any which is rare, it''s probably way out of date crap like, "Advanced Game Programming with GW-BASIC!" Or some dummie stuff like "The Complete Idiot''s Guide to Programming!"
None. I''m hoping to get one for X-mas.

Being a 16 year old who is too damn lazy to get a job and too damn cheap to spend his $250 in a wallet does not get you books fast.

Not to mention college *cringe*
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
1) Advanced MS-DOS Programming
- Contains a list of BIOS interrupts with good descriptions
- Only slightly related to game programming
- COST: $0.50

2) Programming the 80386
- Detailed topics on protected mode assembly

3) Counterpoint
- A music composition book about counterpoint
- Not directly related to programming, but still related to game development

Total spent on books this year: $1.50

I also subscribe to Game Developer magazine. Does that count?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement